Game idea! Feedback wanted.

Started by
12 comments, last by Kazappa 16 years, 1 month ago
Alright, here is a skeleton version of my game idea: A text-based fantasy-themed fighter strategy game made in Visual Basic. The game would consist of two main parts; A) A detailed character creation system. B) A detailed fight simulation system. The character creation system would include a large variety of races, classes, equipment, and more. Characters would have different attributes and skills based off of these selections. Characters would also require a fight plan, which is an AI editor for your fighter. After creating your character you save them to be used in the fight simulator. The fight simulation system would take into account all details of the characters to produce results, and display them in turn by turn action. The game could be played between your own characters, or the game could be used to host online tournaments and leagues. For example a weekly tournament or league could be hosted by a group of people with one person running the matches using the characters or fight plans everyone sent him. Copy and pasting play-by-play would make it easy to report results, and also the reading opponents play-by-play could change how you plan against them in future matches. So that is the skeleton idea. It has a lot of details and features I planned not included, but the basis is there. Do you think this idea would be interesting to see developed?
Advertisement
I spent 2 years trying to develop a game almost exactly as you described. It failed. So... good luck.
I think the idea sounds better with robots. The fight plans could be some type of simplistic player-programmable AI. Robot parts could be upgraded with the money earned from a match. When players don't have much money, they could come up with clever or sneaky AI to beat a better-equipped opponent.
Thanks for the feedback. Could I ask why the game failed? Lack of interest or just problems in putting it together?
Sounds very much like the game Pyrosaur, which goes back to DOS days. You'd create a fire-breathing dinosaur, edit his moves and strategies, and pit him against another dinosaur.

I just don't remember it working on my computer at the time. :P

This kind of idea sounds like an interesting programming experiment. As a game, I can't get past the idea that once my character is in battle, I have no more control, but I get it: The fun would lie in watching the fight play out, going back and rebuilding after the dust settles to get it right or make it better.

But give it a shot. [smile] Could be fun.
I think I'll give it a shot. It has a lot of interesting directions I can take it. I'll keep you updated! Right now I'm looking for Pyrosaur :).

I came up with a possible algorithm for incorporating the speed attribute today. Tomorrow... the world!
Quote:Original post by Benjamin Heath
Sounds very much like the game Pyrosaur, which goes back to DOS days. You'd create a fire-breathing dinosaur, edit his moves and strategies, and pit him against another dinosaur.

I just don't remember it working on my computer at the time. :P

I was going to point out the game as well. I didn't have a modem back then, so I could only make the dinosaurs and run them in simulation.

The game is out there somewhere; I found the site last year, but I can't remember where. The server isn't running though, so you won't be able to actually play; just be able to make a team of dinosaurs.
There's a game in the announcements board right now that uses the same core concept: Tile Wars. You may want to check that thread to see some of the problems that can pop up. It's an interesting idea but implementing it well requires some thought - and playtesting sessions.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Because no human input is necessary, the game would make a good candidate for a web based game. Like 'Kings of Chaos' or one of those sport management games. Users can create an account, make a robot and enter a league/tournament to win cash for more upgrades.

I'm sorry this is a far cry for a VB coder, but the idea is there for those web developers out there.
Have a look at Roboships for an interesting way you could program without having to learn code (you still have to think like a programmer :D )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement