Sign in to follow this  

Implementing Lighting in games

This topic is 3585 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm using 3ds max as my modeling program and I've decided to use Omni and Target Spot lights for my model format. Now i was wondering what sort of properties of the light would i have to save for basic lighting. I don't really understand lighting that well. Especially the parts about attenuation. Also how would i implement these two light types? I think i would have to use shaders? And if I do how would i go about implementing them? Thanks

You will need to learn a graphical API before you even start to think of how to implement types of lights.

OpenGL supports lights directly but you need to set the properties of each (in this case, to the properties of each light type). I am unsure of DirectX.

Light attenuation is basically how the light becomes less potent as you get away from it.

I hope I made sense.

This topic is 3585 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.