Sign in to follow this  

Where can I get good directx API docs?

This topic is 3587 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi my friend has the book Ive ordered so Im going through it getting the basics out the way before I start serious directx game programming. I have a copy of the windows API but Im now looking for a document that contains the directx api and possibly shows all the directx objects/interfaces and possibly the hierarchy? Im actually really impressed with the book "Programming role playing games with directx" and Im going to have alot of learning to do so I want to be able to self help myself by having the correct resources. I would appreciate if anyone could point me in the directions of good places to get information on various object creations and their use. As an example with Jbuilder theres a really extensive set of java docs showing the structure of classes etc. I realise DX isnt fully documented but a portion of it must be. Thanks :)

Cheers Steve :-)

In regards to that Book Ive really been going for it, Im at page 205 now, but prior to that it was getting a bit heavy in regards to matrixes but I went to some site thats for comp science graduates to see the maths behind them and I think I get the idea :-)

As mentioned I think the book is good, it explains all the steps and while individually I understand them Im a bit worried when It comes to the book game whenever that starts and stringing all the steps together. Thats my main concern is while learning having structured enough code that the multitude of steps will become second nature. (Also in regards to the book is it column or row matrices do you know?)

I have read about them but my brain is on info overload atm lol - currently reading about texture mapping atm.

"Programming Role Playing Games With DirectX" is a really, really good directx book, although i wish he didn't skim over skinned mesh like he did. but on a positive note, in his other book, advanced animation using directX he completly explains .x files and such

yeah It is a good book, especially considering I wasnt very familiar with direct x terminology as it covers much of it, explains about lighting , aplha blending etc.

Ive been reading the thing for hours today lol , Just finished this second - Ive just finished the chapter on X files (Which is one of the smaller ones) and Im going to start on directInput tommorow, well I wasnt sure as Im sure I was advised not to use that.

Either way I skimmed ahead(Only when I was packing in for the night) a bit and Im maybe just a while more of starting my gamecore. So much too take in though , but at least the guy backs his abstractions up with code - which makes the book awesome. I have some books that are 100% abstraction. I know they are usedul as well but I really needed to see how stuff was done well and in practice not just talking about it.

I maintain the above irrespective of how well my DX turns out , since my english isnt bad so theory I can usually comprehend but Ive also found putting stuff into practice based on theory to be the true test and for that you need working examples when your beggining/Crash coursing it lol

For that reason I agree I really like the book and irrespective off the fact theres brain dripping from my left ear :) , this is going to be a book that should help me every revisit for a while until I get competant with DirectX

Its 12.00 o'clock here , Im going to actually play a game for 10 mins then sleep :)

Finally hopefully the thread comments will help others that are wandering about the book. The reason I bought it apart from 100% 5star reviews , well what clinched it was one reviewer that stated "Its not got the usual metric ton of BS in it that other books have" . To me that statement is bang on, but its alot to retain!

[Edited by - firefly28 on February 16, 2008 6:57:57 PM]

This topic is 3587 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.