Boost Libraries

Started by
21 comments, last by ChaosEngine 16 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by samoth
Of course it is also an entirely stupid assumption that anything in the detail directory could possibly work in a normal way or the way it's documented in the class header. My fault.

No, it's an entirely stupid assumption that anything in the detail directory is intended for anything but the library implementation to use; that's why it's in a detail directory. The header documentation may be completely correct if used by the library. And if you don't want to be perceived as saying that your incorrect use of an undocumented feature is an example of a buggy library; then don't quote a post that says "examples though of Boost libraries that are a) buggy" before describing your expedition into undefined behavior as if it was an actual boost library rather than a misuse of a non-public library component.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by MaulingMonkey
It's not so much a question of "Is boost worth using in C++?" so much as it is a question of "Is C++ worth using without boost?", in my opinion, to which my answer is "No, it is not."

nifty [smile]

Quote:Original post by MaulingMonkey
It's not so much a question of "Is boost worth using in C++?" so much as it is a question of "Is C++ worth using without boost?", in my opinion, to which my answer is "No, it is not."

QFE. For the last 6 months, I've been writing C# instead of C++ and I sometimes find myself wishing I could use boost features in C#.

If I had to go back to programming in C++, I could happily do so. If I had to go back to programming in C++ without boost, I doubt I'd accept the job.

And for the record, I've used shared_ptr, pointer containers, regex, format, concept_check, filesystem, function, bind (a lot!), test, thread and statechart all in production code in a professional capacity, plus I added a complete scripting system with boost.python (primarily) for testing purposes. Considering the huge amount of functionality those libraries provided I ran into very few problems, and the productivity boost (no pun intended [grin]) far outweighed any issues or performance problems.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement