Sign in to follow this  

something about scripting

This topic is 3574 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

People say scripting is an essential ingredient in a good quality game, but i have to ask' why? How can scripts help me where c++ won't do the job, some scripting languages are written in c++ so why not just use c++, where, using commercial games as examples, is scripting applied? What are good scripting languages for games? Any tutorials on making my own? thank you.

One thing I didn't notice in the FAQ when I read it (a few months ago) is a mention of the game scripting mastery book. Someone recommended it to me when I asked a similar question a while back and I have found it to be an excellent read on both the why scripting and how to aspects of it. It explains some current languages and how to build your own. It goes through pretty much all the steps of making a viable scripting language. If you have an opportunity to I'd recommend picking it up.

It's not in the FAQ because I haven't read it. If anybody wants to send me a copy, I'll gladly do so. ;)

More seriously, I'd hope that the FAQ covers this question. It can never be as thorough as a book, but hopefully it can tell you why you might want such a book.

This topic is 3574 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.