Sign in to follow this  

Retrieving the Best Lap

This topic is 3587 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi ! I'm stuck in my racing game so I need some help. I have 3 variables: LastLapMinutes, LastLapSeconds, LastLapMSeconds. This works well to retrieve the last lap (LastLap = LastLapMinutes + ":" + LastLapSeconds + ":" + LastLapMSeconds) but I can't retrieve the BestLap. I want to have a highscores table and to return the best result I can't mix integers and strings. Any help would be great ! btw I'm writing my game on Blitz3D

Sounds like you need a few more variables :) You'll never have access to data you don't store, so create a few more variables to hold the best lap time, and replace them as necessary (that is, if you complete a lap with a better time than the old best time, then overwrite the old best time with the time from the last lap).

int lapcount = 0;

int best_lap_time = 0;

int max_laps = 10;

FUNCTION PlayerPassesStartingLine()
IF lapcount == 0
best_lap_time = current_lap_time
END IF

lapcount++;

IF lapcount == max_laps
GameOver()
END IF
END

Or you could use a "maximum value" class, like this:

CLASS MaximumValue
PRIVATE
FLOAT TheNumber;
BOOL NoValueYet;
PUBLIC
CONSTRUCTOR ()
TheNumber = 0
NoValueYet = TRUE
END

FUNCTION ConsiderNumber(FLOAT num) AS BOOL
IF ((num > TheNumber) OR (NoValueYet))
TheNumber = num
NoValueYet = FALSE;
RETURN TRUE;
END IF

RETURN FALSE;
END

FUNCTION GetValue() AS FLOAT
RETURN TheNumber
END

FUNCTION HasValue() AS BOOL
RETURN NoValueYet
END

FUNCTION ForceValue(FLOAT value)
TheNumber = value
END
END

I'm not sure if Blitz3d has this kind of functionality, I've honestly never used or even looked at it. If it was c++ I would use something like this.

Thanks for the replies so far ! :)

My doubt is I have LastLapMinutes, LastLapSeconds and LastLapMSeconds, when the player crosses the starting line I have the following expression:

if BestLapMinutes=<LastLapMinutes And BestLapSeconds=<LastLapSeconds And BestLapMSeconds=<LastLapMSeconds

BestLapMinute=LastLapMinutes
BestLapSeconds=LastLapSeconds
BestLapMSeconds=LastLapMSeconds

EndIf

This works fine most of the time but if for example the Last lap time is 1:50:300
and the previous best is 1:51:200 it will say it's still slower than the previous best time because BestLapMSeconds<LastLapMSeconds. :S

Easiest solution is to convert you time variables from minutes/seconds/milli into a total of milliseconds, then its just a single comparison. You could work out the milliseconds total for the bestlap each time or save it in another variable.

e.g.

TotalLapTimeInMilliseconds = (LastLapMinutes*60*1000) + (LastLapSeconds*1000) + LastLapMSeconds

if TotalLapTimeInMilliseconds < BestLapTotalMilliseconds

BestLapTotalMilliseconds = TotalLapTimeInMilliseconds
BestLapMinute=LastLapMinutes
BestLapSeconds=LastLapSeconds
BestLapMSeconds=LastLapMSeconds

EndIf

This topic is 3587 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.