Sign in to follow this  

best game engine below 7000$

This topic is 3571 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi There I think it is another flame about game engine, but please take your time and answer me. Our team work with many engines,but we need a modern engine (not library) with full range of tools and support, but our budget is below the crytek2 or doom3 engines. we want some thing in range of 7000$ with at least 2 AAA games published by that engine. our language prefrence is c#,c++. please advise me Best regards

does it have to be a single complete engine or can you connect a separate graphics and physics engine, the latter will take a little work but give you far more options

Quote:
Original post by mmmobasher
it can be both, and what is weakness of unity3d anyway, i want to know it before hand.

Here people have listed some pros and cons: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_%28game_engine%29

Quote:
it can be both, and what is weakness of unity3d anyway, i want to know it before hand.

Probably, the development is on MacOS currently :). But it can deploy to windows environment which required DirectX9. You can ask directly to them by email or at their forum at forum.unity3d.com

Omg! Thats nuts! But I guess if you really know what your doing and can create a great game from it its worth it. (As long as you release the game and sell it to more people than just your friends of course :P)

Wonder what the lisencing fee is for the source engine is...I imagen quite high as you also get to use the steam servers (for updates, online, selling your game, etc) and I suppose you can also port your game to the 360 quite easy now since Valve have already done it with some of there stuff.

I did just try to find out but it seems Valve will only discuss lisencing under an NDA...

Yes...well. People don't ordinarily license Unreal 3 engine unless they've got a decent bit of capital behind them. Hence, garden variety indies cannot touch it. Not being a producer or anyway involved in figuring out how much these things cost, I can't comment first hand on prices -- but I guess you should map out pretty clearly what you want to -achieve- before you go throwing money about. The amount of effort required to make certain engines do things they were not designed to do can be formidable :)

~Shiny

I can tell you a long list of features we want, but by saying we want something like cry engine2 you must know what we want. but when we talk about budget we must go below that, say we don't want console support, internet support(we can implement it our selves) linux support. but we want some stabilized, modern one.

Quote:
I can tell you a long list of features we want, but by saying we want something like cry engine2 you must know what we want.
Yeah. You want too much. I highly doubt a little team on a budget of 7K can create that kind of content that would actually require all the abilities of that engine.

Regardless of what an engine costs, you can't always just pony up the cash and get your hands on it. You may need an interview or to prove that your project is funded, and of sufficient quality, so the engine doesn't have it's name attached to a horrible looking project, which would devalue it in the eyes of others.

Is 7k your entire budget, or just for the engine? Because a single copy of Lightwave will run you 1K alone, for your art needs. You can get capable engines for free, and spend your cash on the required tools and other assets.

The new version of Unigine seems to have a nice set of features. It costs about 10k but you can begin the development after an initial payment of $2495. (After 29th February it will cost $50k.)

you won't find any AAA games that use an engine that costs <=7000 dollars (unless you consider a game like peggle AAA). Most AAA games will either license already proven technology (ala unreal 3, source, id tech etc.) or develop in-house tech.

your best bet is something like unigine or torque(which does have a AAA title released for it, tribes 2)

As I know there are no games released using unigine. I just came cross their website some time ago and was impressed by the demo and the screenshots. It seems to be a complete game engine with a lot of useful tools. Furthermore I think the $2495 + $7490 license an interesting option for indie developers.

Your not going to get a well known engine for anywqhere near $7k. For example the unreal engine 2 starts at like $350,000
Quote:

A non-refundable, non-recoupable license fee is due on execution of the agreement. The cost is US $350,000 for one of the available Unreal Engine 2 platforms, plus US $50,000 for each additional platform. A royalty of 3% is due on all revenue from the game, calculated on the wholesale price of the product minus (for console SKUs) console manufacturer fees. In the case of massive-multiplayer online games, the royalty is also due on the additional forms of revenue including subscriptions and advertisements.

I don't know how much the source engine is as they discuss it under an NDA. They say it's extreamly competitive but I dout it's even remotely near your $7k.

EDIT: btw. The source engine works completly in c++ useing dll's so you might want to look into that if you can afford it.

Quote:
As I know there are no games released using unigine. I just came cross their website some time ago and was impressed by the demo and the screenshots. It seems to be a complete game engine with a lot of useful tools. Furthermore I think the $2495 + $7490 license an interesting option for indie developers.

Not yet altough Afterfall is beeing developed on their engine (www.afterfall.pl)

This topic is 3571 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.