best game engine below 7000$

Started by
30 comments, last by BiGF00T 16 years, 1 month ago
Wonder what the lisencing fee is for the source engine is...I imagen quite high as you also get to use the steam servers (for updates, online, selling your game, etc) and I suppose you can also port your game to the 360 quite easy now since Valve have already done it with some of there stuff.

I did just try to find out but it seems Valve will only discuss lisencing under an NDA...
Advertisement
Yes...well. People don't ordinarily license Unreal 3 engine unless they've got a decent bit of capital behind them. Hence, garden variety indies cannot touch it. Not being a producer or anyway involved in figuring out how much these things cost, I can't comment first hand on prices -- but I guess you should map out pretty clearly what you want to -achieve- before you go throwing money about. The amount of effort required to make certain engines do things they were not designed to do can be formidable :)

~Shiny
------------'C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg.' -Bjarne Stroustrup
I can tell you a long list of features we want, but by saying we want something like cry engine2 you must know what we want. but when we talk about budget we must go below that, say we don't want console support, internet support(we can implement it our selves) linux support. but we want some stabilized, modern one.
check your inbox, I've sent a pm
Quote:Original post by mmmobasher
I can tell you a long list of features we want, but by saying we want something like cry engine2 you must know what we want.
Yeah. You want too much. I highly doubt a little team on a budget of 7K can create that kind of content that would actually require all the abilities of that engine.

Regardless of what an engine costs, you can't always just pony up the cash and get your hands on it. You may need an interview or to prove that your project is funded, and of sufficient quality, so the engine doesn't have it's name attached to a horrible looking project, which would devalue it in the eyes of others.

Is 7k your entire budget, or just for the engine? Because a single copy of Lightwave will run you 1K alone, for your art needs. You can get capable engines for free, and spend your cash on the required tools and other assets.

this is only for engine and we can spend more if it worth it. for big game you must do Sacrifice.
The new version of Unigine seems to have a nice set of features. It costs about 10k but you can begin the development after an initial payment of $2495. (After 29th February it will cost $50k.)
it is very promising, but i can't see any games done with it. do you know one?
you won't find any AAA games that use an engine that costs <=7000 dollars (unless you consider a game like peggle AAA). Most AAA games will either license already proven technology (ala unreal 3, source, id tech etc.) or develop in-house tech.

your best bet is something like unigine or torque(which does have a AAA title released for it, tribes 2)
As I know there are no games released using unigine. I just came cross their website some time ago and was impressed by the demo and the screenshots. It seems to be a complete game engine with a lot of useful tools. Furthermore I think the $2495 + $7490 license an interesting option for indie developers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement