best game engine below 7000$

Started by
30 comments, last by BiGF00T 16 years, 1 month ago
so here comes the new question, what is base price for engines that produce AAA title, and what engine.
Advertisement
Your not going to get a well known engine for anywqhere near $7k. For example the unreal engine 2 starts at like $350,000
Quote:
A non-refundable, non-recoupable license fee is due on execution of the agreement. The cost is US $350,000 for one of the available Unreal Engine 2 platforms, plus US $50,000 for each additional platform. A royalty of 3% is due on all revenue from the game, calculated on the wholesale price of the product minus (for console SKUs) console manufacturer fees. In the case of massive-multiplayer online games, the royalty is also due on the additional forms of revenue including subscriptions and advertisements.

I don't know how much the source engine is as they discuss it under an NDA. They say it's extreamly competitive but I dout it's even remotely near your $7k.

EDIT: btw. The source engine works completly in c++ useing dll's so you might want to look into that if you can afford it.
There is always the C4 engine.

http://www.terathon.com/c4engine/index.php
Quote: As I know there are no games released using unigine. I just came cross their website some time ago and was impressed by the demo and the screenshots. It seems to be a complete game engine with a lot of useful tools. Furthermore I think the $2495 + $7490 license an interesting option for indie developers.

Not yet altough Afterfall is beeing developed on their engine (www.afterfall.pl)
WOW!

I should make my own overpriced engine ;-)
Quote:Original post by Jazonxyz
WOW!

I should make my own overpriced engine ;-)

considering the amount of time and manpower it takes to make a full engine and polished tools I'm not sure its that overpriced. Especially considering the small market to sell it on.
Quote:Original post by Kambiz
As I know there are no games released using unigine.

Some info regarding Unigine-based projects is available: http://unigine.com/clients/
Though none of them are released yet.
Ummm... Of course you should use THE almighty Shiva Engine !!1! (many times faster than UT engine)
Ph33r
(sorry, I had to say this :P Some people might still remember...)

EDIT: I should add that this wasn't a very serious suggestion for those who can't remember the original thread where the shiva engine was discussed...
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson
Quote:Original post by Chrono1081
Omg! Thats nuts! But I guess if you really know what your doing and can create a great game from it its worth it. (As long as you release the game and sell it to more people than just your friends of course :P)

well when you consider it, say you pay a $20,000 licence fee, thats what, 1 months pay for 6 or 7 guys. could a studio get 6 programmers to write a bug free, efficient commercial game engine in 1 month? not likely, so its like a band aid solution that in the short term, is cost effective

--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
You could try Torque. It's cheap enough that if it doesn't work out, it wouldn't kill you to try something else.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement