RPG Engine

Started by
3 comments, last by joshuanrobinson2002 16 years, 2 months ago
Can you please point me to a SIMPLE(by w/c i mean easy to understand and learned at) yet decent enough rpg engine(2d or/and 3d) that is for free and I can look at the source code so I can study it...Preferably written in C/C++ or java.I've tried searching the net but I need someone who have used the engine so I will be studying an engine that is consider to be good.Thanks for the help
Advertisement
Reading source code is not a good idea.
So maybe reading PURE source code is not good but I'm sure there is some documentation that accompanies that engine...so studying the source code won't be that bad and besides I'm not going to copy and paste it,I'm just going to study it so i can get a good idea about it,but thanks for showing the article...

Can anyone direct me to an engine? any help will be appreciated!

PS do you have a suggestion(about the engine) in mind.
bump
Um, the best I can think of would be the RPGMaker XP's scripts. There is a free trial, so you could take a look at it for thirty days, but I doubt it'll help you learn to write an engine from the ground up. Taking a look at it helped me rethink how I structured some of my classes, but I don't know that it would be something you could learn on.

There are a few open-source roguelikes(sp?) that might help if you take a look at them.

You could look at the various things you'll need your engine to do -save/load maps for example- and look for tutorials, articles and examples on how to accomplish that. Then try writing your own system for handling it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement