Portability

Started by
21 comments, last by swiftcoder 16 years, 2 months ago
I personally find this debatable.
However, speaking about portability, thinking at inter-API porting seems to be a good design exercise.
In the case of inter-OS dependancies, yes, this is overkill, but I am confident this design choice is absolutely justified in my case.
Am I wrong in saying this to other people? Yes, I am. My fault, really.

Previously "Krohm"

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Krohm
Quote:Original post by LtJax
Instead of including windows.h (which includes some pretty nasty macros)...
And it works when you begin to use GDI, Winsocks and such? It doesn't seem to scale with complex apps...

Yes it does work ans scale very well. You can still include windows.h whereever you need it, as this just removes the dependancy from the GL header.

Quote:Original post by Dolf
I want to be able to do it myself instead of leaving everything to external libraries.

"Do everything yourself" is the number one enemy of portability in my book. You can portably use OpenGL because it is a portable graphics API. Win32 will never be portable, so use a portable windowing API (my vote goes for GLFW).

In addition, "doing everything yourself" is a fairly good way to ensure you never finish a game. Harsh, maybe - but I have been down that path, and I think others will agree.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement