Sign in to follow this  

My first programming project

This topic is 3591 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this if it's the wrong place please move. I am planning to have a go at C# programming and wanted to double check if my idea will be "do-able" for my first project and not too overkill. The idea i have is a 2d map.. in a bird's eye view. With a computer player and he user. And the map has obstacles which block the shooting bullets. Obviously you can walk around the map. And the bullets shoot in the direction that the player's character is facing which go in straight lines and only stop if they hit an obstacle, or reach the end of the map or hit the computer user. That was my idea, but not sure if it is too over board for a first project?

Exactly how much experience do you have in C#? If it's none then i strongly suggest you learn to write some basic console applications before you delve into graphics. Otherwise you will be overwhelmed by the complexity.

You could design this game to work as a console app removing the required graphics until it's complete then modify the game to use a Graphic API I'm not sure but is XNA not designed to make multimedia applications easier to create for c# projects.

What I mean about not using graphics in the first one is you could use a text out put to a console to represent the map, players and obstacle's. For example

#################################################
# @ # # @ # @ #
# $ ################ # # # # # # #
# ~ # # # # #
# ~~ ################ # # # # # #
#Y ################ # $ #
######################## # ##################
# # # # # ~ #
#I# # # # #
################################

# = walls
Y and I = players
~ , @ and $ = obsticals.

I'd recommend for your first project is to do a small maze game using the above mentioned method.

PHP does have a look somewhat similar to a C-style language, although there are many key differences between PHP and C# that only a good book will teach you. The C# workshop here was using a book called .NET Book Zero which is surprisingly good considering it is free. That book wont teach you every nook and cranny of C# and the .NET framework but it seems to be a good starting ground and should get you up and running. After you complete that book (My suggestion is you go through the C# workshop here on this site as there is additional reading material provided by JWalsh and other contributors on the forums) you may want to check out this: XNA Creators Club Online | Getting Started. It has some tutorials that will get you started making games with the arguably popular XNA Game Studio.

Hope this helps!

i think that your project is very do-able. I did a similar project with no previous graphics programming experience and only a few months of working on C++ in my spare time. I started out with perl / PHP as well. I think this would be just right for you!

This topic is 3591 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.