Sign in to follow this  

Don't understand LGPL

This topic is 3589 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

English is not my native and i problems with techical terms. Can someone explaine me what LGPL means in simple way? And, can i make commercial product and ship sdl.dll with it?

Quote:
Original post by Srbin013
English is not my native and i problems with techical terms. Can someone explaine me what LGPL means in simple way?

It means that you can keep your own code closed-source, as long as you preserve the open-source nature of the LGPL code you use, by allowing your users to get the source for the LGPL library, to rebuild it and re-link with your application, etc.

The idea behind LGPL is that your users should be able to swap out and replace any LGPL library you use and replace it with a newer version of it (so that they can replace a buggy version with a fixed version at a later date). This usually means that you either dynamically link to the library so that they can swap the dll at a later point. Or that you release the object files to your source so they can relink to a newer version of the library, or you release your entire source code and users can recompile the whole thing from scratch.

Also, any modifications you make to the lgpl library must be released back to the community. So if you modify SDL to support multiple windows you'd have to open source that part of it.

This topic is 3589 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.