How can I install managed directX on Vista?

Started by
1 comment, last by Karim 16 years, 2 months ago
Hello everyone, I made a Managed DirectX game in our company and I would like to start selling it. The problem is with Windows Vista. Installing managed directX9 on a system that has directX 10 (Vista) was impossible to me because a newer version of directX is already there so the directX installer doesn't install. (And there is no Managed DirectX 10 available) The managed DirectX game only works on Windows Vista when I put the following Dlls in the same folder of the game's EXE. They are dlls of: Microsoft Managed Direct3D Microsoft Managed D3DX Microsoft Managed DirectInput Microsoft Managed DirectSound Microsoft Managed DirectX Helper Classes Their file names are: Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll Microsoft.DirectX.DirectInput.dll Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound.dll Microsoft.DirectX.dll N.B. These files are automatically detected by the software deployment tool of visual studio as "Detected Dependencies" and added to the installation. Do I have to exclude them or is it legal to leave them to be installed to the folder of the EXE on the user's computers? If I have to exclude them, Is there any other solution? Thank you very much. [Edited by - Karim on February 18, 2008 5:09:18 PM]
Advertisement
As far as I'm aware its the same for MDX as it is for the other optional SDK components - you must use the DSetup and official installation process to stay legal.

I would've imagined the VS deployment tools would do a sufficient job (its not clear to me whether that is a sufficient replacement to the above) but you definitely don't want to be dropping DLL's in alongside your executable. If they had to patch MDX at some point (security flaw for example) then it wouldn't know about your private copies and thus your customer's machine would still have a weakness - and you don't want your customers to find out its your fault if you hope to stay in business [wink]

Installing DirectX with DirectSetup and DirectX Installation for Game Developers are worth reading. They tell you how to trim the redistibutable size down, and customize it so that it fits your dependencies and still installs on Vista [smile]

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Thank you very much jollyjefers. you really helped me about the legal stuff but seems that I still have no clue of how to install managed directX9 on vista which has directX10 or any other solution. Does anyone have any clue?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement