Sign in to follow this  

Compiler

This topic is 3591 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Besides Visual C++ EE and Dev C++, are there any DirectX9-Compatible compilers out there? I can compile with Visual C++ EE but I cant distribute the executables. When I run the app on another pc, a message box comes out saying something about configuration "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem." And no luck with Dev C++. :-( If there are any other compilers out there, how do I set them up?

Quote:
Original post by Jazonxyz
"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."
In this day and age of complex software, just dropping an abritrary blob of executable code on a machine is rarely sufficient. Your application takes out dependencies on various different libraries, and your destination configuration probably doesn't have these.

From a quick search online (copy-paste that exact message into your favourite search engine [wink]) you're likely missing the VC runtimes. But if you're also taking out dependencies on DirectX you may also need to distribute the D3DX DLL(s) with your application...

hth
Jack

Good luck in the real world with that attitude [rolleyes].

In fact, you're asking the completely wrong question - DX has dependencies, so looking for a compiler that has no dependencies is really a pointless venture because regardless you're going to have some DX dependencies to deal with anyway. Unless you really want to stunt your own appdev work by not using things like D3DX...

Jack

I implore you, don't do it. Trying to do anything even remotely DirectX related on anything other than Visual Studio is going to cause nothing but pain.

Trust me, just deal with the redistributable. You'll need the DirectX redistributables, anyway, so you'll have to deal with these one way or another.

I don't know if you aim for a free compiler or not, but if you are looking for the best, you can not find an excquse not to try Intel Compiler. You will se performance warning you have never seen before. Of course with bad code and threat warnings as errors it could be a king size pain in the ass, but one you fix it you will get that performanence boost you were looking for.

Also, there is a great tool called Intel VTune - it's a performanence tool/cpu ticks per command with C/C++ code analysis.

Of course, this things cost something, but this are the best compilers I had the chance to use on the x86 platform.

Quote:
I guess I'll do with MinGW

Quote:
Original post by Sc4Freak
I implore you, don't do it. Trying to do anything even remotely DirectX related on anything other than Visual Studio is going to cause nothing but pain.
Copy. My first try at MinGW was terrible. I soon dropped it and took money out of my pocket. The hassle avoided made the balance towards my side really quickly.
I have a friend still dealing with it at times and he often tells me some horror stories. Generally there's no fun involved.
If you still want to try out it, be prepared to drop part of your hobby/duties (programming) to acquire another one: system administration. Depending on your OS of choice this may range from a simple cakewalk to an absolute mess.

My most recent experience with opensource compilers was about a bug that was fixed only a year after. Maybe it was just concidence but it happened just a week after a "major opensource contributor" signaled the same bug...

You can avoid some dependencies (For example by statically linking the VC runtime, instead of using the default .dll version)

Others are unavoidable (DirectX is a bunch of DLL files, and that's just how it is. Those have to exist on the target computer. But of course, they usually do. It's the VC runtime that's often the problem)

But it has nothing to do with compilers.

Quote:
Original post by jollyjeffers
Good luck in the real world with that attitude [rolleyes].

In fact, you're asking the completely wrong question - DX has dependencies, so looking for a compiler that has no dependencies is really a pointless venture because regardless you're going to have some DX dependencies to deal with anyway. Unless you really want to stunt your own appdev work by not using things like D3DX...

Jack

Yup you are going to have to learn to deal with dependencies sooner or later unless you plan on sticking with VB and managed dx(no need to redistribute dx runtimes) and making sure users have latest dx runtimes installed at least or stick with VC++ 6.0 and win32/GDI games like mike morrison's "game programming" book does.

Quote:
I don't want the user to have need for a runtime.

I want the app to work on most of the computers out there.

The VC runtime is just not gonna happen easily.
The user should not need the VC runtime if the application is built in Release mode since it removes the debug dependency that is built into Debug applications so that you can actually see variable information in your IDE at runtime. Normally PCs don't have that by default since they don't need it.

Quote:
This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
That is a typical message that you see when trying to run a Debug built application on a PC without the VC runtime.

The user will need the DirectX runtime, there is no way around that. They should have it anyway since pretty much all games include it in their install process.

This topic is 3591 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.