Compiler

Started by
10 comments, last by MrD 588 16 years, 2 months ago
Besides Visual C++ EE and Dev C++, are there any DirectX9-Compatible compilers out there? I can compile with Visual C++ EE but I cant distribute the executables. When I run the app on another pc, a message box comes out saying something about configuration "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem." And no luck with Dev C++. :-( If there are any other compilers out there, how do I set them up?
Advertisement
MingW will work.
------------George Gough
Quote:Original post by Jazonxyz
"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."
In this day and age of complex software, just dropping an abritrary blob of executable code on a machine is rarely sufficient. Your application takes out dependencies on various different libraries, and your destination configuration probably doesn't have these.

From a quick search online (copy-paste that exact message into your favourite search engine [wink]) you're likely missing the VC runtimes. But if you're also taking out dependencies on DirectX you may also need to distribute the D3DX DLL(s) with your application...

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

I don't want the user to have need for a runtime.

I want the app to work on most of the computers out there.

The VC runtime is just not gonna happen easily.
Good luck in the real world with that attitude [rolleyes].

In fact, you're asking the completely wrong question - DX has dependencies, so looking for a compiler that has no dependencies is really a pointless venture because regardless you're going to have some DX dependencies to deal with anyway. Unless you really want to stunt your own appdev work by not using things like D3DX...

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Hmm,

I never realized how rude that sounded until I read it myself.

I guess I'll do with MinGW
I implore you, don't do it. Trying to do anything even remotely DirectX related on anything other than Visual Studio is going to cause nothing but pain.

Trust me, just deal with the redistributable. You'll need the DirectX redistributables, anyway, so you'll have to deal with these one way or another.
NextWar: The Quest for Earth available now for Windows Phone 7.
I don't know if you aim for a free compiler or not, but if you are looking for the best, you can not find an excquse not to try Intel Compiler. You will se performance warning you have never seen before. Of course with bad code and threat warnings as errors it could be a king size pain in the ass, but one you fix it you will get that performanence boost you were looking for.

Also, there is a great tool called Intel VTune - it's a performanence tool/cpu ticks per command with C/C++ code analysis.

Of course, this things cost something, but this are the best compilers I had the chance to use on the x86 platform.
Quote:Original post by Jazonxyz
I guess I'll do with MinGW

Quote:Original post by Sc4Freak
I implore you, don't do it. Trying to do anything even remotely DirectX related on anything other than Visual Studio is going to cause nothing but pain.
Copy. My first try at MinGW was terrible. I soon dropped it and took money out of my pocket. The hassle avoided made the balance towards my side really quickly.
I have a friend still dealing with it at times and he often tells me some horror stories. Generally there's no fun involved.
If you still want to try out it, be prepared to drop part of your hobby/duties (programming) to acquire another one: system administration. Depending on your OS of choice this may range from a simple cakewalk to an absolute mess.

My most recent experience with opensource compilers was about a bug that was fixed only a year after. Maybe it was just concidence but it happened just a week after a "major opensource contributor" signaled the same bug...

Previously "Krohm"

You can avoid some dependencies (For example by statically linking the VC runtime, instead of using the default .dll version)

Others are unavoidable (DirectX is a bunch of DLL files, and that's just how it is. Those have to exist on the target computer. But of course, they usually do. It's the VC runtime that's often the problem)

But it has nothing to do with compilers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement