Game Engine

Started by
8 comments, last by Quanta_StarFire 16 years, 2 months ago
I am completely "noob" in programming. But I thought perhaps I could make my own engine, how would I go about doing this? I've already got "3D Game Engine Design" and "3D Game Engine Programming" and loads of other books similar. But if I'm being honest books aren't my best way of learning, I need a step by step guide or something similar seems to be my best way of picking things up. But anyway, has anyone else ever made their own engine and has some tips? Thanks. P.S Feel free to say "Learn C++ first!" or "Don't get ahead of yourself, do something simpler"
Advertisement
Quote:
Feel free to say "Learn C++ first!"

Do that. Or, even better, learn a friendlier programming language, like Python. Basic programming skills are transferable between languages. You will need all these skills and more to approach a project as complex as a game.

Other than that, this is great advice.
Do the following:

Learn C++ first!
Just pick up a decent primer until you can make a simple text game.
Something like "Guess what number I'm thinking of!"

After a few text games, Learn Win32 for windows programming.
Just make a basic window, that's what you'll need most of the time.

Learn GDI!
Not really the most used thing in the world, but really basic and easy to learn.

Learn DirectX, OpenGL, SDL, or whatever renders something on the screen fast.
You dont have to memorize the functions, thats why you make an engine(duh!).

Abstract all the functions in an efficient way.
In DirectX(the API I use), to draw an image on the screen you have to do at least ten lines of code for each image. That include loading, drawing, and releasing.
Do it so that you only have to do one command for each of them.

After all that, build a superset of everything you learned and you've got an engine!

Just don't waste time trying to make a Halo clone as your first project.
START FROM THE BOTTOM AND WORK YOUR WAY UP!
Start with a Pong Clone. And then you'll know how to make a game.

Lastly, the most important thing to learn is data structure and algorithms.
Quote:Original post by JazonxyzJust don't waste time trying to make a Halo clone as your first project.

Thanks.

By the way: I don't like making "clones" - I'd rather make an original IP.
Quote:Original post by JazonxyzLastly, the most important thing to learn is data structure and algorithms.

What about design patterns? ;)

Quote:Original post by RybisBy the way: I don't like making "clones" - I'd rather make an original IP.

What he means is to make games that are similar, since you won't be making original IP unless you know how to do things. Besides, the process of making clones will give you lots of code that you'll be able to reuse in many more applications, which is especially important when you want to design an engine.
Quote:Original post by Rybis
Quote:Original post by JazonxyzJust don't waste time trying to make a Halo clone as your first project.

Thanks.

By the way: I don't like making "clones" - I'd rather make an original IP.

The clones idea is that right now you don't know enough about programming knowledge to design something whole cloth new without getting in over your head by accident. Cloning asteroids, or pong is something of a known quantity, and easy enough for some one new to programming to do. Also if you get in trouble and need help it is easier to say help my asteroids clone is doing X wrong. That way you don't have to explain your great ip in detail to get help. Just take it slow and try to focus on the learning. Your first program isn't going to be a game, and your first game isn't going to be the game you want to make,unless you really like adventure(the game not the category).
Quote:Original post by Jazonxyz
Do the following:

Learn C++ first!

i can already make that kind of thing, but i dont know where to go next, like in the book i am using, it really doesnt say what to do next

what would be something i should learn next?
Quote:Original post by rpstaekwondo
Do the following:

Learn C++ first!

i can already make that kind of thing, but i dont know where to go next, like in the book i am using, it really doesnt say what to do next

what would be something i should learn next?

You could try Tic-Tac-Toe. Or if that's too simple, you could also try making a Rogue-like

There's other suggestions in the Best Practices sticky, including a link to a thread with tons. :)

There's other suggestions in the Best Practices sticky, including a link to a thread with tons. :)

where is the best practices sticky???????

is there a link?

Quote:Original post by rpstaekwondo

where is the best practices sticky???????

is there a link?

Uhm, it's at the very top of the forum (ignoring all the announcements, of course). It's thread title is actually "*** Forum FAQ, Guidelines, Best Practices [Under Construction] ***" ;)

Anyways, link:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=465629

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement