How do I really start?

Started by
15 comments, last by ctcodre 16 years, 2 months ago
I suggest to begin with C++, even if you a beginner.
Me and all my friends started with C++, it isnt that hard that people say.
Maybe it could be a little confusing in the beginning, but beginning with C++ is nothing we regret.

Another tip:
Use another IDE then visual studio, I think its too advanced for you,
the best IDE I know is dev c++.

good luck :)
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by dashurcI don't personally agree with "sticking to" an API. I don't really think it's detrimental to learn similar parts of 2 APIs instead of mastering a single one. That said, I don't think it's detrimental to only stick with one either. I just don't think this part really has that much of an impact. APIs are tools, when you've mastered much of the above areas, working with APIs isn't much of a challenge (although working with a rendering API when you've never done rendering might be a challenge, but this is more to do with rendering theory than actually fighting with the API).

Well, one of the things I've noticed while trying out various APIs is that each has their own syntax, data types, and other conventions, which to me suggests that they're practically programming languages in and of themselves. In that regard, I think once you've demonstrated a fair amount of knowledge using one API, you can easily pick up on its competitors and refactor your code to fit with the new API.

As for rendering API vs. rendering theory, I'd have to agree with that assessment, since it's a problem I'm currently facing with learning Direct3D (well, more like Direct2D I guess, since my current focus is 2D graphics). I'm not at all used to how the coordinate system works, or some of the mathematical concepts, mostly in regards to rotation (not sure whether to express angles in degrees or radians, really. I'm inclined to guess radians though.) and translation (which I guess would require a better understanding of the coordinate system).

Quote:Original post by Iderik
Another tip:

I thought people were recommending Code::Blocks these days since Dev-C++ isn't updated anymore. :/
Quote:Original post by Quanta_StarFire
one of the things I've noticed while trying out various APIs is that each has their own syntax

How can APIs have their own syntax? Can you give an example?
Quote:Original post by DevFred
one of the things I've noticed while trying out various APIs is that each has their own syntax

Well, it mostly has to do with the initialization steps needed before you can even start to do anything; an example would be setting up the Win32 API to display a simple window and process messages.
Quote:Original post by DevFred

Any decently functional and portable C/C++ API will define its own primitive data types, its own naming conventions and its own style.

Java, C# or Python (just to name some) completely standardize all of the above. All libraries provide a consistent API, which does differ in design, but retains completely identical syntax.

That alone makes C/C++ considerably harder to use.
ok, ok, ok. I really don't need atm this flame :). I know my way, I want to expand my knowledge of c++ and for this I only want to program something, like a game...so, I only need to know what tools I need, what library and if I need a graphic engine.
in other words, how do I start?
Quote:Original post by Iderik
I suggest to begin with C++, even if you a beginner.
Me and all my friends started with C++, it isnt that hard that people say.
Maybe it could be a little confusing in the beginning, but beginning with C++ is nothing we regret.

Another tip:

nooo, it's ok :), I like VS2008 and it isn't too advaced :P, thanks for the tips.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement