Moving on from windows programming

Started by
9 comments, last by ramearess 16 years, 2 months ago
Hello again, i can now create a basic window almost off the top of my head in C++. I may need to refer back to a tutorial on the internet sometimes to fix bugs, but the point is i know what im doing. I now feel ready to move on and learn how to display graphics on the window i have created. According to someone on this forum i should learn how to use GDI. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to learn about GDI. Thanks ~Reegan
Advertisement
theForger's Win32 Tutorial is often recommended as one of the best tutorials on Windows Programming available online, and I'm not inclined to argue since it actually is quite good.
well you are using visual studio, did you consult the documentation for your compiler? It has documentation for GDI. Also just so you know GDI is good for 2d but doesn't provide 3d acceleration.
Quote:theForger's Win32 Tutorial is often recommended as one of the best tutorials on Windows Programming available online, and I'm not inclined to argue since it actually is quite good.

Yes i have been using that, its where i learnt about windows programming. except when it came to the GDI tutorials i wasnt given alot of information on what i was doing and it was slightly difficult to understand.

Quote:well you are using visual studio, did you consult the documentation for your compiler? It has documentation for GDI. Also just so you know GDI is good for 2d but doesn't provide 3d acceleration.

i only want to make a pong clone for now, ive only been programming with C++ for about 4 days now i think.

Learning C++ was pretty easy it was just a mater if finding out how all the stuff i already knew was writen in C++. Windows programming was quite hard to get my head round and i dont fully understand it yet.

i just wanna be able to make a Pong clone to get started but i need to learn about GDI first

so if anyone knows of a great place to do so id be really greatful.

Thanks!

PS: wheres the documentation?
You can find the documentation in either the "Microsoft Platform SDK" or "Microsoft Windows SDK" folder under "All Programs" in the Start menu, depending on which one you installed (I believe Windows SDK was the most recent)
I also just want to throw in a question. Reegan, you are aware that Microsoft is moving its new APIs to the .NET world, with original developments like WPF coming only to .NET?
To be honest i dont know whats going on. im quite lost actually
What does API actually "stand for"
.NET? hmmm i used to use visual basic .net from microsoft but one of my college tutors recommended i started using C++
and whats a WPF?

damn i hate microsoft.. making everything so confusing!

Every time i think i got he hang of what im doing something else comes up.
Maybe im not cut out for this. To stupid or something..
Didn't you just say you've been programming in C++ and windows for 4 days?

I'd hardly call where you're at being stupid.

As for API, it stands for application programming interface. It's essentially a collection of classes and functions you can use to interface with a library or code module (i.e. the windows API you've been working with).

And hell, I've been programming for years and I don't know what WPF means. Looking it up the only thing I could come up with is: Windows Presentation Foundation:

Windows Presentation Foundation
Quote:Original post by Reegan
PS: wheres the documentation?

msdn.microsoft.com
I suggest not wasting time with GDI and skipping to using SDL or Allegro. They are some great 2d libraries which are cross-platform and do not require you to use any ugly/confusing windows API calls.You will get your graphics up and running in a day with those. The windows API makes programming feel alot more complicated than it needs to be. Once you are confident enough, you can make the plunge into 3D with OpenGL or Direct3D.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement