Sign in to follow this  

Win32 console worth learning?

This topic is 3584 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is it worth learning the win32 console functions? I've seen a few programs around that are still console based, e.g. my clockon/off system at work is done in teh console and I see a few petrol stations use console or maybe its just dos styled programs. I've done a bit before like making a movable ascii character for the window and drawing boxes etc.So yeah should I bother learning it or just focus on the Windows forms?

i only use consoles for printf output cause i dont want to open a txt file eevrytime (log).

i also make a lot of cmd line apps. Those are the two reasons i use consoles and i use them a lot. Learn that much at least if you dont know anything about consoles (i assume you know a little). printf/scanf func takes 5mins to learn and it would take another 10mins to toke around with the cmd line to see how it is parsed (its different from winMain arguement)

It's the kind of thing I'd learn functions from, if I had a project I was working on that could use it. Easiest to learn as needed, so to speak. I barely remember the functions I used from the last time I touched that part of the API, but it'd just take a few MSDN searches to get myself back up to speed.

Quote:
Original post by namingway
Is it worth learning the win32 console functions?

Yes, it would be worth learning.

Text-based POS (Point-of-sale, the stuff that petrol station use) tend to be light-weight DOS (and its legacy) or Linux-based applications that use one of legacy window managers, such as TurboVision or ncurses.

They however have no relation to Windows console. That one, depending on version, is either an drop-down to DOS, a raw DOS window, or pure 32-bit shell (unrelated to DOS) with frame-buffer.

80x25 text-mode has nothing to do with console, except that consoles commonly use that mode. But even under Linux, that's merely for terminal compatibility.

This topic is 3584 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.