User text input

Started by
6 comments, last by Anddos 16 years, 2 months ago
How would i go about creating text input by the user? such that they pressed a text mode key such as 'T', which then they can enter script commands, which then will be activated by pressing enter. Kind of like this in console mode game::frameUpdate(float time) { if(keyPress == "t"){ cin << scriptJob << endl; } if (scriptJob == "godMode"){ life = 100; damageStrength = 0; } } i have had no real win32 experience other than creating the window for directx/openGL, so dont know where to look really. thanks
Advertisement
First, stay away from DirectInput. It's completely unsiotable for keyboard or mouse input.

I'd just handle WM_CHAR messages and display the characters as they're entered using whatever method you like to render text.
hmm, so when t is pressed, detect keys, and output each key as it is pressed?

hmm, but after t is pressed and i use a switch statement to go through, looking for what the first key pressed was, and append it to a string, there going to have to pressed t again, to enter the wm_char: again.

could you possibly show me an example of the win32 code?

i gather it would be a while loop until enter is pressed, but when in in wm_char:, im only going to have that one key? (t), how would i get the next entered key.

I know how to render the string to text.
Quote:Original post by wforl
hmm, so when t is pressed, detect keys, and output each key as it is pressed?

hmm, but after t is pressed and i use a switch statement to go through, looking for what the first key pressed was, and append it to a string, there going to have to pressed t again, to enter the wm_char: again.

could you possibly show me an example of the win32 code?
It entirely depends on how the rest of your code is written. Usually you'd have a "game" state, which you're in normally. When t is pressed, you'd change state to "inputting text", and then stay in that state till enter was pressed, when you'd handle the whole string and then go back to the "game" state.

Quote:Original post by wforl
i gather it would be a while loop until enter is pressed, but when in in wm_char:, im only going to have that one key? (t), how would i get the next entered key.
It'd be something like (psuedo-code, and quite ugly):
void onKeypress(char ch){   if(state == STATE_InGame)   {      if(ch == 't')      {         state = STATE_InputtingText;         strBuffer = "";      }   }   else   {      if(ch == '\n')      {         processCommand(strBuffer);         state = STATE_InGame;      }      else         strBuffer += ch;   }}
Thankyou, i'll try and implement it when i go home tonight
How would i go about creating text input by the user? such that they pressed a text mode key such as 'T', which then they can enter script commands, which then will be activated by pressing enter.

in the WndProc function you want ,

CASE WM_CHAR:
switch(wParam)
{
case 'T': DoSomething(); break;
}
:)
i have that, but im wondering how i get further text though?

CASE WM_CHAR:
switch(wParam)
{
case 'T': getTextInput(); break;
}

how would getTextInput work?, i know how to do this in console but not in win32, where i would use, cin, or getch() etc
how would getTextInput work?, i know how to do this in console but not in win32, where i would use, cin, or getch() etc

so your working to get text from the console window?
why dont you create a console with AllocConsole and use ReadConsole to recieve the input text , not sure if you can use a standard console with a directx window , i think the cin is only used when you have int main and not WinMain
:)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement