Sign in to follow this  

W.I.P Sector 66

This topic is 3584 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

once im 100% done writing it, ill upload the entire story line to this post? i dont know if you can edit posts yet, since this is my first actual post. But anyways, i guess my "Announcement" is the start of this game, and as of right now there is no demo for this. screenshots only :).
Comments and crits appreciated. Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us More Screenies,Videos, and general updates to come soon.

If you're quoting people, use the quote button or manually apply the quote tags, otherwise posts will become confusing. And yes, you can edit posts, there's a small edit button in the upper right corner of each post. :)

Anyway, the glow is indeed too much. I can see something promising underneath, but it's really wasting the screenshots right now. Don't use the story as an excuse for messing up the graphics: screenshots are meant to make a good first impression. Nobody knows about your story yet, but everybody sees a glow effect being misused, so yeah...

The architecture/geometry does look somewhat bland, empty-ish, but that's hard to tell from these screenshots alone. One thing stands out though: the large pistol sprite on the hud. While it's nicely drawn, it's too large and attracts too much attention. Besides, it's already obvious which weapon you're holding. I'd remove it from the hud if I were you.

Anyway, it still looks promising. What engine and tools did you use?

Quote:
If you're quoting people, use the quote button or manually apply the quote tags, otherwise posts will become confusing. And yes, you can edit posts, there's a small edit button in the upper right corner of each post. :)

Anyway, the glow is indeed too much. I can see something promising underneath, but it's really wasting the screenshots right now. Don't use the story as an excuse for messing up the graphics: screenshots are meant to make a good first impression. Nobody knows about your story yet, but everybody sees a glow effect being misused, so yeah...

The architecture/geometry does look somewhat bland, empty-ish, but that's hard to tell from these screenshots alone. One thing stands out though: the large pistol sprite on the hud. While it's nicely drawn, it's too large and attracts too much attention. Besides, it's already obvious which weapon you're holding. I'd remove it from the hud if I were you.

Anyway, it still looks promising. What engine and tools did you use?

I appreciate the comments, and to answer you're question, im using a very Entry level engine called FPSC: Http://fpscreator.com

With a mod to the engine called EFX

again its very entry level, so its not very flashy for features, unless you can code DBPRO *Dark basic pro* and mod the original source code. But uhh, im going to be uploading more screenshots very soon, so lookout for em, id appreciate it :) lol

EDIT-

this screenshot shows some modifications to the same area in one of the screens,

Also do you guys think the bloom in this picture is still overused? becuase i only put enough on to make the light entitys look like they're actually lit.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

[Edited by - bloodeath on February 18, 2008 7:34:34 PM]

yeah I still think there is too much bloom lighting, his pistol and hand appear to be glowing/have a light fringe. I dont know if this is supposed to happen through the character's power or if it is just a bad light anomaly but it seems abit odd.

I love the look of the world you have and the weapon model and HUD elements look spot on and pro.

The idea of bloom is to recreate the kind of artifacts that happen through a camera's natrual lense (things a photographer/cinematographer try and avoid) and how it can't focus on extremely bright objects - people seem to forget this and it's one of the reasons why I particually hate the usage of bloom in most things as its always done over the top and abit mad.

The screenshots have a strange dizzy, slightly psychedelic feel to them as things bleed out to a hazy fuzz. Bloom is a tricky thing to get right but there are excellent examples out there.

Thief 3: Deadly Shadows, Deus Ex: Invisible War are just two games that spring to mind where the bloom filter really brought the worlds to life so check them out :)

But either way Keep it up man - I know how tough it is, what is the FPScreator like? I've never used it.

Quote:
But either way Keep it up man - I know how tough it is, what is the FPScreator like? I've never used it.

its a WYSIWYG engine, very very very simplistic, click in drop, and the way you build you're geometry in levels is through segments.

Think kind of a step down from torque, and by step down i dont nessesarily mean graphics but, just the all around simplicity to it. It is by far the easiest fps engine to learn.

Quote:
yeah I still think there is too much bloom lighting, his pistol and hand appear to be glowing/have a light fringe. I dont know if this is supposed to happen through the character's power or if it is just a bad light anomaly but it seems abit odd.

bug with the mod im using, hopefully itll get fixed soon.

Quote:
people seem to forget this and it's one of the reasons why I particually hate the usage of bloom in most things as its always done over the top and abit mad.
but... i dont know, as a Senior FPSC user *since day 1 of release, actually i got the EA so before but still.* Without the overuse of bloom, fpsc has a really hard time trying to make things seem actually illumated. I dont know, ill have to upload a screenshot with no bloom, to show you the extreme noticable differences *involving lighting* I know thats probably considered a really minor technicality, light objects not actually giving the sense of illumation i mean. But it does bother me, and thats why the bloom.

Here watch ill edit this post in a few seconds to show you what i mean.

[/end rant]

EDIT

Screenshot all same settings.

Just no bloom.

Uhh, bloom is not the only method that can make lights look shiny... halo sprites are often used in older games and they do a fair job. At least they make only lights look illuminating, not the whole environment...

Quote:
Uhh, bloom is not the only method that can make lights look shiny... halo sprites are often used in older games and they do a fair job. At least they make only lights look illuminating, not the whole environment...
yea i know your talking to a texturer :P lol i know all about decals *What you would call sprites* But the bloom is a more effective, less cpu using way than to have each light entity w/ a light marker than a sprite on the light entity to make it shine, and with all the diff color lights in my game, ill have to make variations of each one, so the engine will have to pull up more textures, making loading times longer, and bogging down the game, and giving it a really cheesy look.

there is no way avoiding it, there will be bloom in this game, it is pretty much the only way of making it look, atleast somewhat believable.

Nope, I'm not talking about decals or overlays but about sprites, also called billboards. Many level-designers call these sprites because that's essentially what they are. And no, you don't need a separate texture for every different color, as long as your engine can draw them in different colors itself. Which is nothing complicated so I'd be surprized if FPScreator doesn't provide a way to do this.

Bloom isn't a bad thing that should be avoided, but it's too easily overused. It's good for the lightbulbs, but bad for the rest of the scene. Hmm, would it be possible to give the effect more contrast, so it affects light areas more than dark ones? That might do the trick...

I quite like your last screenshot there... looks ok especially if the environment's walls are steel or shiny metal, that would create alot of crazy light artifacts.

Yeah Captain P had a good suggestion, I dont know if the FPScreator can do it but if you could use a glow map pass on the light textures this would make them illuminate quite nicely wihout the world going all feathery. Doom3 and Quake4 used glow maps all over the place and it might be worth having a look.

But to be honest I think the last screenshot was cool enough, so early on in your development stage I probably wouldn't worry about how things like Bloom look or even worry too much on user comments at this stage as your really still just getting it off the ground and will have plenty of time to tweak later on.

What model format does the FPScreator use? for skeletal meshes and map props?

I'm just curious hehe.

.x for models, .dds for textures. and for rigs and stuff, im not entirely to sure, you just specify the animations in a .fpi file, *Script*

No the engine has no way to render anything differently then what i made it, unless i had more custom shaders to do the work for me, and i dont know how to make shaders.

The glow maps wouldnt work unless what i had originally said, there is no way you can have them simply render as a different color, unless you made the glow map a shader, and coded the shader to be able to tweak the RGB. Which essentially is what the water is :D. lol

Quote:
also called billboards

i could of sworn billboards are like those invis walls with like tree textures and stuff on it, keeping the player from leaving/looking out of the area....

Quote:

But to be honest I think the last screenshot was cool enough, so early on in your development stage I probably wouldn't worry about how things like Bloom look or even worry too much on user comments at this stage as your really still just getting it off the ground and will have plenty of time to tweak later on.

Thanks for the comment :), but uhh, id rather worry about what people say about bloom and stuff earlier on so i dont have to tweak it later.
as for user comments, those are really what i want/need. imo. But uhhh ill end this rant, and probably end up posting more screens today. so yea.

i've already lost some rating points? am i comming off as a jerk to anyone? because its not intentional, and i would of rather had a direct conferntation about it, then rather just have someone rate me bad?

Double post.

This pic is an updated room of the 4 screenshots previously posted, ive redone the rooms, put the green bloom one together with the hallway looking one.
Hallway pic will be posted soon.

No light source, Light color is a PH(placeholder), and bloom is not yet decided.
Just building a general outline of this level

Heres another screen of same room, Just showing different options for light+bloom, entirely experimental with the lighting and bloom in this pic.

3rd edit

Im aware of the players hand glowing, it is a bug, but try and ignore it when C&Cing my screenies. trying to get it fixed.

[Edited by - bloodeath on February 21, 2008 7:14:22 PM]

Sign in to follow this