• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Chrono1081

Does anyone know of anything like this?

This topic is 3775 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

A long time ago, when I was learning C, I stumbled across a C++ site that had all kinds of beginning game projects for people learning to program. It had projects on there that were built around beginners. For example they had a scrolling space shooter that was all made of ascii characters (your ship looked like this: <-'-> Seeing how as I learned C about 12 years ago Its probably not around but I was wondering if anyone knows of a similar site?" I understand this is probably a shot in the dark...

Advertisement
I don't know of any such site but why do you need a resource to suggest what you need to develop why not just decide you want to make and start programming it.

I'd try something other than a side scrolling shooter for your first one though I can see it being a bit over whelming as a first project to much to deal with. you got a player, enemies, movement, shooting and collision detection at least although none of these are all to difficult to implement considering them all at once, I always recommend a maze game as the first but that's only cause it was my first you only need a player, movement, and collision detection.

It was similar, but it was a step below skill wise. I already have lazy foo bookmarked for when I start SDL :D

Speaking of SDL, maybe I am ready for it and don't know it.

Heres what I know in C++:

classes
some pointers (I understand what ive used, but I don't use them much)
functions
input/output,
loops
ifthen/case switch
arrays

Im currently learning vectors

should I try SDL? or is there still a lot I am missing?

Quote:
Original post by ramearess
I don't know of any such site but why do you need a resource to suggest what you need to develop why not just decide you want to make and start programming it.

I'd try something other than a side scrolling shooter for your first one though I can see it being a bit over whelming as a first project to much to deal with. you got a player, enemies, movement, shooting and collision detection at least although none of these are all to difficult to implement considering them all at once, I always recommend a maze game as the first but that's only cause it was my first you only need a player, movement, and collision detection.

Oops I should have clarified. As my first project I planned on it being a pong or maze. So far I have only done text based projects and would like to make the leap to simple graphics. I just dont want to miss something I should have learned.

You know about as much as I knew when I started with SDL. I learnt most of my programming while playing with SDL. My first game in SDL was TicTacToe, but it was really my first game ever, I don't know how much you've done in a console already. Something that changes over time (like pong and tetris and space invaders) is always gonna be a little harder than something more time-independant such as TicTacToe or Bejeweled. Those are the two games I programmed first. Now, I'm working on Tetris.

Maybe it is time for me to start SDL. I bought a book (Focus on SDL) and read the first two chapters and nothing confused or overwhelmed me. I was just afraid of missing something fundamental that would throw me off track.

I think once I finish the book im on now (Learning C++ through game programming)ill start with SDL :D

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!