Does anyone know of anything like this?

Started by
5 comments, last by Chrono1081 16 years, 2 months ago
A long time ago, when I was learning C, I stumbled across a C++ site that had all kinds of beginning game projects for people learning to program. It had projects on there that were built around beginners. For example they had a scrolling space shooter that was all made of ascii characters (your ship looked like this: <-'-> Seeing how as I learned C about 12 years ago Its probably not around but I was wondering if anyone knows of a similar site?" I understand this is probably a shot in the dark...
Advertisement
Hmmm... Are you looking for something like this?
I don't know of any such site but why do you need a resource to suggest what you need to develop why not just decide you want to make and start programming it.

I'd try something other than a side scrolling shooter for your first one though I can see it being a bit over whelming as a first project to much to deal with. you got a player, enemies, movement, shooting and collision detection at least although none of these are all to difficult to implement considering them all at once, I always recommend a maze game as the first but that's only cause it was my first you only need a player, movement, and collision detection.
It was similar, but it was a step below skill wise. I already have lazy foo bookmarked for when I start SDL :D

Speaking of SDL, maybe I am ready for it and don't know it.

Heres what I know in C++:

classes
some pointers (I understand what ive used, but I don't use them much)
functions
input/output,
loops
ifthen/case switch
arrays

Im currently learning vectors

should I try SDL? or is there still a lot I am missing?
Quote:Original post by ramearess
I don't know of any such site but why do you need a resource to suggest what you need to develop why not just decide you want to make and start programming it.

I'd try something other than a side scrolling shooter for your first one though I can see it being a bit over whelming as a first project to much to deal with. you got a player, enemies, movement, shooting and collision detection at least although none of these are all to difficult to implement considering them all at once, I always recommend a maze game as the first but that's only cause it was my first you only need a player, movement, and collision detection.

Oops I should have clarified. As my first project I planned on it being a pong or maze. So far I have only done text based projects and would like to make the leap to simple graphics. I just dont want to miss something I should have learned.

You know about as much as I knew when I started with SDL. I learnt most of my programming while playing with SDL. My first game in SDL was TicTacToe, but it was really my first game ever, I don't know how much you've done in a console already. Something that changes over time (like pong and tetris and space invaders) is always gonna be a little harder than something more time-independant such as TicTacToe or Bejeweled. Those are the two games I programmed first. Now, I'm working on Tetris.
Maybe it is time for me to start SDL. I bought a book (Focus on SDL) and read the first two chapters and nothing confused or overwhelmed me. I was just afraid of missing something fundamental that would throw me off track.

I think once I finish the book im on now (Learning C++ through game programming)ill start with SDL :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement