Sign in to follow this  
7h0m

Great idea, but need advices on how to accomplish it. (overlaying d3d with VB or C++)

7h0m    122
Hi gamedev, I tried asking some questions in the DX portion of the forums, but I think this is the better place. I have a killer idea for an app (imho at least ^_^), but i need to achieve one particular task that challenges me to reconsider my whole tool set, aka the language I will be using. I need to be able to overlay any recent 3d game, (or d3d at least) and I was expecting to be able to do it using direct draw in VB NET 2008. Because the other components in VB that will be usefull to me are very very fast/easy to use. They include webcam access, ip networking, win32 interface, etc. Now if I decide to use C++, I am confused on to what library i should be using, it seems much more messy and less unified. Is there an all-around solution for a Win32 GUI maker in C++ that is free (open source)? And for web cam streaming? In résumé I was wondering if converting some of the C++ examples of overlaying on 3d apps found on this site possible in VB 2008? if so, are there any converters or people that could help me translating it? Any post is welcome, anything, I hate bumping my threads, and this project is important for me, it might get me back on track on programming, it's been a while, and i have my diploma, I just need a project like this to get me started on my career. Thanks a whole lot!! :) [Edited by - 7h0m on February 20, 2008 2:26:09 PM]

Antheus    2409
If I remember correctly, overlaying a third-party app requires some ugly hackery through D3D bindings.

Perhaps things have changed with recent DX version, but in general, simply overlaying something (e.g. FRAPS) isn't exactly straight-forward.

7h0m    122
check this technique out made by a member of GameDev.net

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=359319

no 'hacks' required

There is also this one, that does require modding a d3d dll to make it work:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=359794

What's the best choice? Is this possible in VB? Time will tell :P

7h0m    122
If I were to use C++... what librairy would you guys recommend for manking an interface? I want to be able to make it stay in the icon tray, and have a menu drop down from there.

... and I'd like to access a webcam, is that even possible to find?