Camera Rotation dependend on FPS?

Started by
3 comments, last by schupf 16 years, 2 months ago
Hello, in my application I use a first person camera class and the rotation is performed by moving the mouse. Every frame I do this:
g_mouseBufferX->add(g_mouseState.lX * fElapsedTime);
g_mouseBufferY->add(g_mouseState.lY * fElapsedTime);

double x = g_mouseBufferX->getWeightedMean();
double y = g_mouseBufferY->getWeightedMean() ;

g_camera->yaw(x);
g_camera->pitch(y);
g_mouseState holds the current relative mouse movement and fElapsedTime is the elapsed time since the last frame. g_mouseBuffer is just a buffer that holds the last 10 mouse movements and calculates the average to smooth jerky mouse movements. The problem is now: I have to techniques - technique A has 200fps on my machine and technique B about 1400fps. If I run technique B the rotation speed is fine, but if I run technique B the rotation of the camera is really slow. Its obvious that since technique B is faster the B values of fElapsedTime are much smaller and the rotation in every frame is smaller. But since B also performes more frames the total rotation every second should be the same, shoudlnt it? I mean its the same if I rotate 4 times 0.25 Degrees or 1 time 1 degree. Does anyone have an idea why my rotation is slower if I have more fps?
Advertisement
I would assume your implementation of getWeightedMean() compensates for different fElapsedTime per entry, but your Add() call suggests otherwise.

Just because you have 1400hz doesn't mean each sample in that 10-entry buffer is uniformly 712 microseconds apart. Some could be 600 microseconds and others 800 microseconds. Consequently your 10 frame average could well be the average X coordinate from 8 milliseconds or 6 milliseconds...

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

The buffer just exists to smooth the mouse movement so I guess the true problem has nothing to do with the buffer itself.

Even if I use this simple code per frame:
g_camera->yaw(g_mouseState.lX * fElapsedTime);g_camera->pitch(g_mouseState.lY * fElapsedTime);

then rotations are still much slower with high fps. Of course you are right that with a framerate of 1400Hz I wont get fElapsedTime values of exactly 1/1400s but the average amount per second should indeed be 1/1400s.
I thought the whole "multiply all changes by elapsed time" just exists to make movments independend on framerate?
Maybe this will help you somehow.
Hehe, my mousebuffer is based on excatly this article :D
Now my camerarotation is smooth but the rotation speed still depends on the fps :/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement