Sign in to follow this  
Eralp

VC++ with Sdl and opengl?

Eralp    142
Hi! I have been programming with directx but I want to create a game using Sdl,if I realize later that the sdl isn't enough for my game I would go adding opengl for the rendering proccesses.. In my eyes there is some kind of conflict between microsoft-things and unmicrosoft-things.I think I can say Sdl and opengl are unmicrosoft and vc++ is obviously microsoft.(what a sentence lol :D) Actually I don't know if you can compile things in vc++ that will run in ie.linux too. But I am willing to use a UI(buttons,textboxes..), if it's hard to create, I'll try doing with windows classes.If it's not hard, I won't bother using windows classes. So I'm a little bit confused and this question can be seen as a vague too o_O.I don't "care" for now if my game would work on other os'es then windows but I would like to ask you what would be your approach?(If you wouldn't be using directx would you restrict your application to windows because of relativly things?)

deadstar    536
Absolutely not, Visual C++ works fine with many un-Microsoft libraries you throw at it.

I'm currently using SDL and OpenGL for my engine, and although it's no KDevelop, Visual Studio is a pleasure to work with for this kind of project.

And I'm unsure about cross-compiling. I know KDevelop lets you compile something into a Win32 excectutable with a bit of messing about, I wouldn't know about the other way round.

SDL + OpenGL is a fine way to start a game geared towards cross platform use. I don't have to change a single line of code to compile my engine under linux.

Font support gave me a little trouble to start with, but SDL_TTF sorted that out. Next up is a good cross platform GUI library I can use with SDL. Any suggestions anyone?

Eralp    142
After posting this I have searched a little bit and found that
http://www.cegui.org.uk/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
and that's the tutorial to be used with opengl + sdl
http://www.cegui.org.uk/wiki/index.php/Using_CEGUI_with_SDL_and_OpenGL

edit: And one more question, what would it be like using sdl with opengl? I mean will I use the opengl itself or will I use just the functions of sdl that uses opengl.. :/

deadstar    536
Both excellent resources, thank you.

I was kinda asking for first-hand experiences rather than a few Google results, that was the first place I looked myself. Naturally.

Crazy Eddie's name keeps cropping up from time to time, I'll give that one a try.