Sign in to follow this  
Prune

OpenGL HDR multisampling AA looks poor for high contrast edges

Prune    224
I'm using 16x8 coverage multisampling (tried regular as well, with same results) in an OpenGL program, with 16 bit floating point textures and FBOs. The AA looks fine for edges that do not form very high contrast against their background. But if, for example, the edge is reflecting an bright area from the HDR environment map, and is against a background that is not very bright itself, the AA looks quite poor, almost as if there wasn't any. I'm guessing this has to do with the fact that tone mapping is done after the multisampling, but obviously that cannot be the other way around, unless I'm missing something... So, what's the best way to improve quality? Here's a screenshot, showing AA working OK except where the edge goes across the brightest part of the reflection:

Sc4Freak    643
Yes, it's because you're doing tonemapping after MSAA.

I'm not sure about OpenGL, but in Direct3D10 custom multisample resolve allows you to do just that - multisample after you do your tonemapping. The feature should be available on all Direct3D10 compliant hardware - it's just a matter of whether or not OpenGL exposes this functionality.

Prune    224
Is there a standard name for this? "custom mutlisample" or "custom multisampling" do not return many results in Google.

I should also note that with HDR textures the analogous problem exists, because the texture resampling is done before tone-mapping, and high contrast image edges make it look as if nearest neighbor was used instead of bilinear/mipmapped interpolation. Is there custom interpolation in Direct3D for textures as well?

I'm guessing that when I add bloom it would hide the poor AA a bit, since the bloom has most effect in exactly such high contrast areas, but that's kind of like trying to sweep the problem under the rug and is not a robust solution.

As a side question, should bloom be computed before or after tone-mappin? My guess is that the correct way would be that it should be before, since if it's done after, then two areas of the same size that are both saturated after tone-mapping, but have different true brightness, would end up having identical bloom amount, which is obviously wrong.

Sc4Freak    643
Quote:
Original post by Prune
As a side question, should bloom be computed before or after tone-mappin? My guess is that the correct way would be that it should be before, since if it's done after, then two areas of the same size that are both saturated after tone-mapping, but have different true brightness, would end up having identical bloom amount, which is obviously wrong.

The point of tone-mapping is to adapt an HDR image down to LDR. I believe that bloom should be done before tonemapping, while still in HDR space. However, bloom shouldn't contribute to a scene's luminance.

coderchris    304
Iv had this same exact problem. What i ended up doing was doing the tonemapping not as a post process, but at the end of my main material shaders. This way, the color gets tonemapped down to an acceptable range before actually rendering the sample, allowing the edges to be properly antialiased.

Another advantage to this is that you dont even need a floating point surface since the color is tonemapped anyway (assuming you saturate the tonemapped color). Unless of coarse you also want bloom, then you dont saturate and write out to a floating point surface

Yann L    1802
A common problem. Even some offline renderers have this problem. Actually, multisampling after tonemapping is mathematically incorrect too (since the post-tonemap samples aren't linear anymore). But compared to the jaggies, it's usually more pleasing visually.

I have recently done some experimentation with a special adaptive tonemapper, that takes edge contrast into account. The idea is to detect steep interpolation gradients (as they are created by multisampling a HDR surface with high contrast) and decrease exposure along these edges. It works quite well, but I still get some annoying sparkling artifacts, probably due to lacking precision at the differencing pass.

Doing this isn't even that far fetched, since the human visual system does something similar in the real world.

coderchris    304
I guess technically it wouldnt be correct, i hadnt actually thought about that until now; Though, I believe that the source engine does their tonemapping the way i described also; so either they have a special way to do transparency or its not noticable enough to tell :p

Actually, i can think of one way around it. WHen you render transparents, dont enable blending, but rather read the backbuffer and "un-tonemap" the color you read, then do your blending in the shader, tonemap the new color, and return that.
A drawback here is that if you want to draw one transparent on another, you have to do some render target changing...

Prune    224
Quote:
Original post by coderchris
Iv had this same exact problem. What i ended up doing was doing the tonemapping not as a post process, but at the end of my main material shaders.

With this, you can then only use local tone-mapping operators.

LeGreg    754
Quote:
Original post by Prune
Quote:
Original post by coderchris
Iv had this same exact problem. What i ended up doing was doing the tonemapping not as a post process, but at the end of my main material shaders.

With this, you can then only use local tone-mapping operators.

That's not true, Half Life 2 was doing just that : rendering everything to a LDR target, doing the tonemapping at the end of every shader. Their tone mapping operator was a global one (a simple division by a constant exposure value).

Quote:
If I implement tonemapping in the shaders, wouldn't the alpha-blending be incorrect then since it would be done in a nonlinear color space?

Yes it's partially incorrect to do alpha blending in the tone mapped space : a semi transparent object drawn on top of an overbright object will not maintin the correct brightness, instead the shining object will look dull. But it's a compatibility trade off (something that allowed Half Life 2 to run on any shadermodel 2.0 card). This is true for any post processing effect (motion blur, depth of field, realistic bloom, haloing, fog etc.)

If you rely on high quality multisampling/alphablending you should do the Direct3D10 version, that is you should read the samples individually in a pixel shader after you've finished with the whole scene, tone map them and do the downsampling.

You should note that the problem you're seeing with edge antialiasing is also true for any filtering that happened before your tone mapping operator and that includes anisotropic filtering. An element that people often forget or dismiss totally. Anistropic filtering is designed to work optimally in linear space.

That problem with anisotropic cannot be fixed simply by doing the filter after the tone mapping (because it happens at texture read in a fixed function texture unit). Some level of supersampling might help.

---

There a third way, but I haven't seen implemented anywhere. I planned of doing a tutorial on it someday.. The idea is that you could maintain the true brightness ratio locally but not globally, that way things like anti aliasing that rely on the linearity but only on neighboring pixels could be applied at any stage of the rendering pipeline.

LeGreg

Yann L    1802
Quote:
Original post by LeGreg
There a third way, but I haven't seen implemented anywhere. I planned of doing a tutorial on it someday.. The idea is that you could maintain the true brightness ratio locally but not globally, that way things like anti aliasing that rely on the linearity but only on neighboring pixels could be applied at any stage of the rendering pipeline.

Sounds interesting. Any more details ?