Free Microsoft development tools for students

Started by
27 comments, last by rossmills 16 years ago
Microsoft has just announced Microsoft DreamSpark. This is a program that allows students of high schools and accredited universities to download, for free, a number of Microsoft development tools. This includes Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition, Microsoft Expression Studio and Windows Server 2003. The program is currently limited to the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, China, Germany, France, Finland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Belgium, and does require your school to verify your enrollment. However, Microsoft has signaled the intention to add additional regions to this list.
Advertisement
This has been available for some time has it not? I know since I've been applying to study Computer Science this last year and they all made a thing about providing Visual Studio Professional to the students although granted it was the 2005 edition.
I've been studying engineering for two years and we have thos software (and some others) trough an other Microsoft programm. I do believe it's a good thing for students, since those software cost so much money.
I got my dev tools from MSDNAA, my understand of this was that it wasn't run by Microsoft, but was an affiliate, MSDNAA that is.
It's not done out of the kindness of their heart it's just an attempt to become the preferred IDE of the industry. Microsoft produce excellent software that does it's job extremely well which is normally to make tasks easier for the end user. But I believe academic institutes should advise those learning in a professional capacity to stay away from feature packed tools until they are sufficient working with out them.
Is it just me or is journey ed not working? I tried with firefox, ie , and safari and I says there is an error?
I tried doing this earlier as soon as I heard about it, but apparently the only school in all of Canada is "ISIC" or something like that. No University of Lethbridge. [sad]
MS really do treat developers pretty well, regardless of their failings in other areas. I qualify for these tools and plan to install them when I get my new laptop (macbook pro) and install the (also free) version of Vista business I get from my University. This is, of course, partly motivated by a drive to reduce piracy, which is pretty common among students. It also creates a user base who will no doubt pay the full price one day.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
Quote:Original post by speciesUnknown
This is, of course, partly motivated by a drive to reduce piracy, which is pretty common among students. It also creates a user base who will no doubt pay the full price one day.

Yeah, I don't understand why more software companies don't give away free licenses to hobbyists and students. For example, I am never going to go out and buy Dreamweaver of that entire suite of tools... they may as well let me have it so that maybe I will get good at using it, and want to use it commercially one day.
Quote:Original post by smitty1276
Quote:Original post by speciesUnknown
This is, of course, partly motivated by a drive to reduce piracy, which is pretty common among students. It also creates a user base who will no doubt pay the full price one day.

Yeah, I don't understand why more software companies don't give away free licenses to hobbyists and students. For example, I am never going to go out and buy Dreamweaver of that entire suite of tools... they may as well let me have it so that maybe I will get good at using it, and want to use it commercially one day.

It sounds good on paper, but I'm sure it's a lot harder than it looks to setup a separate product line for students and a method for validating their identity. It may just not be worth the money.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement