Free Microsoft development tools for students

Started by
27 comments, last by rossmills 16 years ago
Hurr, yeah.

They were doing some last-minute testing last week where they announced it to like 50 people at each site (though the BATTLESTATION WAS FULLY OPERATIONAL) to make sure the shibboleth system worked fine for everyone. Download speeds are kinda meh though (potentially due to my crappy home connection) - 10 hours to download the VS2008 ISO.

;_;
Advertisement
Has anyone else from Canada tried doing this yet? I'm not sure whether I should try and get an ISIC card or just wait until they start adding Canadian universities...
Quote:Original post by Cromulent
This has been available for some time has it not? I know since I've been applying to study Computer Science this last year and they all made a thing about providing Visual Studio Professional to the students although granted it was the 2005 edition.

No. You are thinking of MSDNAA. This is different.
"For once, something that sounds too good to be true really is this good and really is true. Starting today (or soon in some areas), students worldwide will be able to download our professional development and design tools for free! It's called DreamSpark and it is upon us."
With MSDNAA your instructor has to sign up for it in order for you to access it. Some colleges like mine don't even bother too so if they don't you are out of luck and either have to use express or pay $99 for an academic copy of VS online.
So yeah I expect this to be quite popular and I hope they have allocated enough bandwidth for everyone trying to download a copy.
I just signed up via journeyed(no problems and used firefox) and am now waiting for my confirmation email.

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Quote:Original post by Mike.Popoloski
It sounds good on paper, but I'm sure it's a lot harder than it looks to setup a separate product line for students and a method for validating their identity. It may just not be worth the money.

Sure, but I wasn't talking about a separate product line and validating their identity--well, maybe a separate line with Express editions. Generally, though, "academic editions" can be relabeled versions of the same product and sold through campus bookstores which can require student IDs. And surely Adobe doesn't expect every part-time hobbyist to drop $999 on CS3 Standard... why don't they give it away for non-commercial use? They have to know that most people are pirating the hell out it... why not let them register online and get it for free?
This is lovely. All I had to do was click through, sign in with my Dartmouth Blackboard password, and download over my T2 trunk connection. Guess I do get something out of my Ivy League education besides all the Keystone Light I can drink.
Eric Richards
Quote:Original post by Megaman_22
This is lovely. All I had to do was click through, sign in with my Dartmouth Blackboard password, and download over my T2 trunk connection. Guess I do get something out of my Ivy League education besides all the Keystone Light I can drink.

Oh god no! You have to use Blackboard in the US as well! We suffer in solidarity, brother.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
You said that its available to highschool students too, but I don't see anyway to sign up. It only has colleges and there's no way Microsoft can add all the highschools in the "world" if they can only get one Canadian college.
Quote:Original post by Evil Booger
You said that its available to highschool students too, but I don't see anyway to sign up. It only has colleges and there's no way Microsoft can add all the highschools in the "world" if they can only get one Canadian college.

ISIC isn't a college - its an International Student Id Card. You have to pay $22 or so to get one. For me, the nearest place to apply for one is in Calgary, which is a good 3 hour drive away. I won't be going up that way for roughly a month, and even then when I am up there I probably won't have time to stop by and apply for an ISIC card.
Quote:Original post by Evil Booger

I agree since they must already be backed up with applications since having applied yesterday I still haven't received my email although it did say it could take up to 24hrs...

UPDATE: okay well I guess it does take 24 hrs to get your email after you apply since I finally just got it.
Off to redownload a 3.3GB VS2008.iso image since my already installed trial version of VS2008 won't accept the key they gave me.
Was hoping it would so I wouldn't have to redownload since I don't have the fastest connection, not to mention burn another DVD. Must be a custom ISO then or something then since it's still supposed to be full VS2008 Pro and not a stripped down version like express?

[Edited by - daviangel on February 21, 2008 5:54:19 PM]
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
It isn't for high school students (at least not yet, I heard that they may be extending it to high school students in a year). I would like to ask gamedev.net to stop saying it is for high school students until high school students can actually download it, which is currently not the case.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement