Sign in to follow this  
KodeNerd

GLSL

I have looked at GLSL and was wondering a few things about what it is. Is it cross-platform to XP, *Nix, and Vista? What is it's greatest strength? What is it's greatest weakness? How difficult is it to learn?

1) Yes, its part of OpenGL, so it works everywhere that GL does.

2) Compared to what?
It allows you to write custom programs for the GPU, instead of relying on an (emulated) fixed-function-pipeline.

3) Compared to what?
It only works with OpenGL (just like HLSL only works with Direct3D).
If you want to write shaders that could work with both GL and D3D you would need to use something like NVIDIAs Cg instead.

4) Fairly easy if you've got a background in 3D graphics. Otherwise - compared to what?

Take the plunge! I just bought the Orange Book last week and it didn't take long to surpass everything I could do with the normal openGL pipeline. Shaders are twice the fun, the language is easier and there are so many effects you can just write yourself when you get the idea instead of slogging through reference materials.

Quote:
Original post by Hodgman
1) Yes, its part of OpenGL, so it works everywhere that GL does.

2) Compared to what?
It allows you to write custom programs for the GPU, instead of relying on an (emulated) fixed-function-pipeline.

3) Compared to what?
It only works with OpenGL (just like HLSL only works with Direct3D).
If you want to write shaders that could work with both GL and D3D you would need to use something like NVIDIAs Cg instead.

4) Fairly easy if you've got a background in 3D graphics. Otherwise - compared to what?

I am sorry for not being specific, I meant compared to "normal" OpenGL, though you did actually answer everything I wanted (along with GoodPeriodical).

Thank you both, once I get some money I am ordering the Orange Book and reading it throughly.