Sign in to follow this  
Kuro

Explosion shockwave effect

Kuro    284
I am thinking of putting a shockwave effect in my game similar to the one in Facewound (you can see in the video below, it is used a lot throughout the video but especially around 0:18): http://youtube.com/watch?v=FlxJxo5A5xk Basically the idea is that the shockwave spreads out and "warps" the screen. Anyone have any idea how this kind of effect is possible? Thanks, Kuro

OrangyTang    1298
I did something like that a while ago. Fortunately it's not too hard - the basic idea is to render your scene to a texture instead of the framebuffer, then render that texture to the screen via some kind of warping shader.

The warping shader can be as simple as just messing with the geometry and texture coords (ie. draw it with a grid of quads and move the vertices around to distort the texture. That's easy to do but the the grid size will limit you to doing relatively large effects rather than small distortions (which might be ok for big warping explosions).

Instead I built up a second render target using special distortion textures, then used a pixel shader to combine this "warp map" with the regular scene texture by offsetting the texture coords at each pixel.

Kuro    284
Sweet, thanks a lot! Between those links that should be a good start to get me going. This is really exciting