Sign in to follow this  
Minty

Exporting to .X

Hello, I have searched the DirectX forums and many places on the internet and I can not find a decent tutorial on how to export a from 3Ds max with animation into the .X format. The model uses a Biped for the bones and Physique for the skinning. I read that exporting doesn't work properly unless everything is collapsed to the Physique, but I haven't been able to do that because the Physique disappears when I try. I've tried exporting as .3DS format then using Conv3ds to convert it to .X And I have also tried using the Panda plugin for 3Ds Max, but to no avail. I nearly got it exported at one point but it looked like the envelopes were not pulling the skin properly (even though the animation works properly in 3DS Max) So does anyone know where I can find a good tutorial to learn how to do this or does anyone have any ideas? I've found tutorials which allow you to get an animated .X file loaded into DirectX and animating but I havent started because I couldnt find a way to export to .X that works for me. Any help is appreciated and I'm sorry if this topic has come up before but i couldn't find it, and sometimes it's easier to ask your own questions about your won problems. Thanks :)

Hi, this exporter is what I use It's great, but the meshes with animation seem not to work in the DX Mview program, but work in my apps or this here app.
The exporter
http://kwxport.sourceforge.net/

the mesh viewer app and tuts
http://www.toymaker.info/Games/html/load_x_hierarchy.html

Thanks for your reply. I'll give them a go.
I didnt think to try them anyway just incase its the Mesh View program that isnt working properly, since other .X files worked I thought it was my conversions that were faulty.

Thanks again.