Sign in to follow this  
Sync Views

style

Sync Views    139
Well eventualy (like 5 years perhaps...) I want to go into the industry. Howeer does programming style matter? eg I see most people do stuff like "DrawSpriteStretchedRot" while I prefew "draw_sprite_stretched_rot" because I find it easyer to read at a glance with the "spaces" between words. If I ever want to get into the industry does it matter which way I use or will I just have to accept how almost everyone else seems to do it?

hammerstein_02    134
There are some standards that programmers stick too, but there is no set way. Getting into some of the more accepted methods may allow you to adapt to others programming style more easily, but it's not enforced. You can name things the way you like, however if you want others to read your code, readability helps.

I would personally not name methods do_some_function. I've seen this method used in tests, but not in actual production code. More likely DoSomeFunction. One thing I like is naming methods (even if they're long) appropriately enough to describe the purpose, i.e DoSomething means nothing to me, EventUpdate might make more sense.

When you get into a company, they will have their own standards to adhere to, so there is no way you can learn everything you need in general, but it helps to read other peoples ideas of what makes good code and take certain things from it.