Sign in to follow this  
Prozak

Open Lib for Asymmetric Encryption

Prozak    898
Where can I find an Open Library for Asymmetric Encryption, using public and private keys? I'll be using this as a top-layer for an existing TCP/IP-based protocol (sockets) that has to exchange vital information for our clients, including credit card numbers, details of sales, and other important insider-information that might be open to outside corporate curiosity (or as some would call it, espionage, although I don't want to sound dramatic). Can anyone point me towards a good library for this purpose and perhaps a tutorial? (R++)

Prozak    898
I think I'm going with OpenSSL, it seems to be extremely complete, but I need to have a better look at the documentation, as the sockets part of the code for this project I can't actually touch...

...I can only alter the data, so I'll need to figure out how to, using OpenSSL, create the private and public keys, and encrypt and decrypt the data stream...

Has anyone worked with it before?

Bregma    9214
Quote:
Original post by Prozak
Has anyone worked with it before?

If you do all your work through the OpenSSL BIO_* mechanisms, it's pretty much transparent to the rest of the application. You don't need to mess directly with the sockets.

It's not too hard to use these for encrypting and decrypting streams (after all, it's all certificate based), but you migh have more difficulty negotiating the DH key exchange etc. without allowing the library to read and write on your sockets. OpenSSL doesn't create/accept/connect, you just create a BIO on an open socket and OpenSSL does the setup/read/write/teardown of the SSL/TLS session.

Prozak    898
Well, I'd like to understand the library enough so that I can alter the topmost data stream, and not mess around or alter any existing sockets code.

Besides, I'd like to use asymmetric encryption on files and data blocks too, not just secure socket connections.

Now, if I could find such a tutorial...