VS & Release

Started by
2 comments, last by Will-O 16 years, 2 months ago
At the moment I have two problems with good ol' VS2005 (significant enough to raise on hear that is). They both concern release mode - the mode one's supposed to use to compile & link software for ...guess what? Release! One is that the linker gets in a muddle after a while of being in debug mode and I get a lot of LNK2005 errors because it claims that functions have already been defined, when they haven't. The simple solution to this is to delete the VS files (.vcproj, .sln, ...etc) and make a new project of the same name (so it can use the same folder). - If anyone has any better ideas I would like to hear them 'cause my solution is a bit of a slow one, though it does work. The other is a bit more serious - software I make on my pc only runs on some others. I'm running 32bit WinXP Pro, VS2005 SP1 & I link an Win32-OpenGL lib whose instructions are contained within the exe-file and is not needed along side at run time. I'm running these on a (slightly aged) P4/2.8 system. >> How can I be sure to make OpenGL software that runs on any 32bit WinXP computer? (with enough graphics ooomph to do the drawing, obviously)
Advertisement
The project files are all just text next time you create a new one copy it to a new directory so that when you get one that doesn't work you can compare them and see what went wrong.

If you are using native C++ you need the C++ redistributable, If you are using anything .net related you need to have the .net runtime(version 2.0) installed.
Quote:Original post by Will-O
The simple solution to this is to delete the VS files (.vcproj, .sln, ...etc) and make a new project of the same name (so it can use the same folder).

- If anyone has any better ideas I would like to hear them 'cause my solution is a bit of a slow one, though it does work.
You could try the "Rebuild Solution" or "Clean Solution" option under the build menu.
The other is a bit more serious - software I make on my pc only runs on some others.
Are you getting an error message? If you get "Couldn't run application because MSVCR80D.dll couldn't be found/is missing", then the fix is
  1. Select the project (from Solution Explorer or Property Manager)
  2. Project -> Properties -> Configuration Properties -> C/C++ -> Code Generation -> Runtime Library
  3. Set the /MT option.
>> How can I be sure to make OpenGL software that runs on any 32bit WinXP computer? (with enough graphics ooomph to do the drawing, obviously)
Is this a third question? Or have I misunderstood what you're asking?
Constipation is the thief of time.Diaorrhea waits for no man.
The clean/rebuild is not the successful in my experience.

Quote:Original Post by Amnesiac5
Is this a third question? Or have I misunderstood what you're asking?

The bit starting with the double angle-brackets IS the question I'm asking. The bit about graphics oomph is a condition more for enjoying the applications, rather than being able to run them to start with. The paragraph after "-If anyone has any ..." and preceding the angle-brackets is the question's context.

I send software off to people who say they can't run them, note not "won't" but can't because the software won't initialise. Very often they won't elaborate on what the error but no one's said anything about that specific DLL from what I can recall.

What's odd is that I can run stuff on some computers, but not all.

When this happens the next time I shall re-post with what/when/how.

Thanks though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement