• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
OpenGL_Guru

[java] Java and 3rd party DLL's, using JNI

This topic is 3749 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i am having trouble with a java error that i am unsure where it is coming from. basically i have created a JNI stub(a C header file) that i can use to build my C++ source file with. in my C++ code i need to access a C Library with functions that i have tried to hide from the java end(to no avail) and wondering what i am doing wrong. //my .java file
public class HelloWorld
{
  public HelloWorld() //constructor
  {

}
public native double getPopulation(double w, double x, double y, double z);

static
 {
   System.loadLibrary("populationLib");
 }
        public static void main(String[] args)
        {
                HelloWorld hello = new HelloWorld();
                double value = hello.getPopulation(-89.3, 30.1, -89.6, 30.8);
                System.out.println("value returned is: " + value);
        }

}

now i use javac to compile and javah to create my C Header Stub. 

//C header stub created
//**note i had to add the shapefil.h header file myself because i want to use this to call the C Library Methods available through this. I also had to add a C++ function that i want to use to make these calls. (is this right??? )

/* DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - it is machine generated */
#include <jni.h>
#include <shapefil.h>
/* Header for class HelloWorld */

#ifndef _Included_HelloWorld
#define _Included_HelloWorld
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C" {
#endif
/*
 * Class:     HelloWorld
 * Method:    getPopulation
 * Signature: (DDDD)D
 */
JNIEXPORT jdouble JNICALL Java_HelloWorld_getPopulation
  (JNIEnv *, jobject, jdouble, jdouble, jdouble, jdouble);

double setPopulation(double, double, double, double);
#ifdef __cplusplus
}
#endif
#endif

//now my CPP file to match the header stub that was created. my idea was to call a C++ function from the native function, that will then call the functions needed in the C Library. but as you will see Java complains.(error at bottom).
#include <iostream>
#include "HelloWorld.h"

using namespace std;

JNIEXPORT double JNICALL Java_HelloWorld_getPopulation(JNIEnv *env, jobject obj, jdouble w, jdouble x,
                                                                                  jdouble y, jdouble z)

{
  jdouble pop;
  pop = setPopulation(w, x, y, z);
  return (jfloat)pop;
}

double setPopulation(double x1, double y1, double x2, double y2)
{
  SHPHandle mySHPhandle = NULL;
  DBFHandle myDBFhandle = NULL;
  SHPObject *mySHPobject = NULL;
  DBFFieldType stuff;
  int field_count;
  int record_count;

mySHPhandle = SHPOpen("file1.shp", "rb");
  //myDBFhandle = DBFOpen("file1.dbf", "rb");
  //field_count = DBFGetFieldCount(myDBFhandle);
  //record_count = DBFGetRecordCount(myDBFhandle);

return 10.0; //arbitrary number/cant return anything of use yet. 
}

now i create the shared library: g++ -shared -I/include files needed -L/library files needed HelloWorld.cpp -o libpopulationLib.so --the library is created with no warnings or errors via g++. now we need to run Java. $java HelloWorld
Quote:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /home/user/work/iga/src/population/libpopulationLib.so: /home/user/work/iga/src/population/libpopulationLib.so: undefined symbol: SHPOpen at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1751) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1676) at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:823) at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1030) at HelloWorld.<clinit>(HelloWorld.java:35)
normally i would understand why java cannot see the library, as in my .java code i am not loading the C library nor am i wrapping any functions around the C Library to match the functions that i need. But in this case i am not using or dont want to use java to access the C Library. I want to use C++ to do this and this is what i am trying to do here. My question is why does java need to see the SHPOpen function? i am not using java to call the C functions that i need. any ideas or suggestions? questions? thanks a lot for your help in advance...

Advertisement
Hi,

have you specified java -Djava.library.path="relative path to lib folder" MyApp ?

(i am no expert in JNI too, but this will probably solve the problem)

SHPOpen is referenced from your own library; the OS library loader attempts to dynamically load and link it at load time.

Cas :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!