GLSL Additive environment mapping of transparent fragments

Started by
1 comment, last by Chris Weaver 16 years, 1 month ago
Hi, I'm making my first forays into GLSL and have stumbled across a problem with either my code or expectations of GLSL. I'm simply trying to texture an object with a base texture then to simulate a glossy coating a reflected cube map is added. The base texture has an alpha component and OpenGL has GL_BLEND enabled and glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA) setup. I originally got this working this using combiners which gets the colour of the previous fragment and adds the environment map to it as follows: // The environment map is modulated with the alpha channel of texture0, then // added to the previous fragment color. glTexEnvi(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE, GL_COMBINE4_NV); glTexEnvi(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_COMBINE_RGB_EXT, GL_ADD); glTexEnvi(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_SOURCE0_RGB_EXT, GL_PREVIOUS_EXT); glTexEnvi(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_OPERAND0_RGB_EXT, GL_SRC_COLOR); glTexEnvi(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_SOURCE1_RGB_EXT, GL_ZERO); glTexEnvi(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_OPERAND1_RGB_EXT, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_COLOR); glTexEnvi(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_SOURCE2_RGB_EXT, GL_TEXTURE); glTexEnvi(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_OPERAND2_RGB_EXT, GL_SRC_COLOR); glTexEnvi(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_SOURCE3_RGB_EXT, GL_TEXTURE3_ARB); glTexEnvi(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_OPERAND3_RGB_EXT, GL_SRC_ALPHA); But I can't seem replicate this in GLSL because it looks like the alpha component of the base texture is modulating the environement map's intensisty giving a very dark reflection. I'm guessing this is a result of the blending in later stages? My fragment program is as follows: varying vec4 col; // gl_Color from vertex shader varying vec3 norm; // world normal vector varying vec3 viewVec; // world view vector uniform sampler2D TexUnit0; uniform samplerCube CubeMap; void main(void) { vec4 color = col; // Modulate the vertex colour by the transparent texel colour vec4 basetexture = texture2D(TexUnit0, gl_TexCoord[0].st); color *= basetexture; // Normalize the object space normal and view vector vec3 normViewVec = normalize(viewVec); vec3 envNormal = normalize(norm); // Reflect view vector around the normal vec3 reflVec = reflect(normViewVec, envNormal); // Get environment map contribution for this point vec4 envMapDiffuse = textureCube(CubeMap, -normalize(reflVec).xyz); // Add the environment map to the transparent colour color.rgb += envMapDiffuse.rgb; color = clamp(color, 0.0, 1.0); gl_FragColor = color; } What I need is the environment map to be additive so that even if the base texture is nearly fully transparent (glass) and blended with other polyons, you still get a bright reflection/specular highlight. Is this possible without having to do multiple passes or anything? Help, please! Cheers, Chris.
Advertisement
yes it should be possible (esp if you have done it with GL_COMBINE4_NV)
im not 100% sure what u want
perhaps write in the color + alpha buffer seperatly
eg
gl_FragColor.xyz = color (from textures etc)
gl_FragColor.w = visability

+ then with glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA) gl_FragColor.w will control the opaciniss
Hi zedz,

Basically, I want to get rid of the GL_COMBINE4_NV code and replace it with GLSL code as much as possible. To explain it simply, the fragment colour I set in gl_FragColor.rgb is modulated by the opaicity set in gl_FragColor.a, which is fine for the actual basetexture colour because its a property of the material.

However, I don't want the environment/specular reflection to be modulated by the gl_FragColor.a component because it should be ADDED to whatever the final fragement colour is after blending is done. So, adding it to gl_FragColor.rgb isn't working.

The GL_COMBINE4_NV code added the reflection to the PREVIOUS fragment colour but I can't find equivalent functionality in GLSL to make the reflection appear unchanged "on top of" of the final blended result.

I guess what I want is a bit like "seperate specualar" but per-pixel.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement