Haskell game programmers?

Started by
2 comments, last by stonemetal 16 years, 1 month ago
Anyone out there using Haskell for game development? I'm learning up on Haskell, and the idea of writing an OpenGL backed game with it intrigues me. I've done the Google searches, read the papers, and am working on grokking monads, so I don't want pointers to those. I'm more interested in what projects you use Haskell on. Anyone written a game in it? Embedded it for scripting? Do you have any pointers on program layout? As a sort of side question, would anyone be interested in a blog containing a record of my struggles with my Haskell game project? -Koobs
Advertisement
I'm afraid that I don't use Haskell, but back when I was an undergrad there was a friendly rivalry between academics in choice of languages, and to prove a point one of the academics who strongly favoured Haskell would keep on making different sorts of programs; one of them was a version of Space Invaders.

I'm always interested in reading about different types of languages in game development. I've considered using functional languages before, although I'm moving more into Python these days.
I might be a bit like you - i feel that there is something I might be missing out on with haskell and have done a lot of reading and some very basic stuff. i grok the functional side and type classes with compile time polymorphism but dont quite understand how i could live without objects and runtime polymorphism.

anyway when i did a search this was about the only game i could found - its also one of the very few 'larger' haskell example projects i know apart from darcs and xmonad.

the guy has made the source code is available as well - there's a link somewhere
I mostly use C++ and python for games but if your curious search for haskell frag it is a fps written in haskell. It uses Quake 3 models/maps.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement