You've probably seen this question before:

Started by
16 comments, last by daviangel 16 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by ChJees
More low level stuff.

Low level != power. I can program with a hex editor. That's not power. It's annoyance.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by fanninator
My question was which of those two books is better.

My recommendation is that you go to the bookstore and look at the two books. Figure out for yourself which one walks you through the material in a way that's clearer for you.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by speciesUnknown
"Better" is subjective. I have lots of programming books, and I rarely use them, instead favouring web searches. I occasionally use the "OpenGL Red Book" as a reference, but thats it.

I have to agree with this. I have quite a few books (over $500 worth) on game development and programming (mostly C++, DirectX, and Graphics theory books) and I wouldn't really recommend buying any of them. I've learned everything from online resources and trial and error.

The only other advice I can offer is: before you start posting for more help, work on your post titles. It'll draw in the people that know how to fix it, but won't be able to tell what you're looking for.
I don't know much about those books, but if they're free online (and this is your only reason for using them), why not use both? Then you can pick the one you feel is more to your liking (or stick with both for two different perspectives).

If you're willing to drop some money for a book,
Deitel and Deitel, "C++ How to Program" as Boder suggested is a pretty good book.

It's a bit dry, but it covers everything a beginner would need, and is a great jumping off point if you wanted to get into games.
C++ A Dialog might be more suited for you as Thinking in C++ assumes you know some C as it doesn't teach the basic material such as loops, conditionals, variables etc.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Quote:Original post by ChJees
But go ahead with C++, it is worth it in the end.

Explain, please!
Python and Pygame, use the book "Game Programming The L Line, The Express Line to Learning" by Andy Harris and you'll be writing games in a month. The more games you write the more game programming concepts you will learn. That is the key. Languages you can learn throughout your career but a good solid set of game programming fundamentals is what you need at your core. And what better way than not to slog through years of learning C++ but actually put out decent games with that book, python and pygame in a month before you lose interest because you are bogged down in a particular language. Make programming fun again! If its not fun you'll give up more quickly.

Cheers,
Jan
Quote:Original post by Jan Johannsen
Python and Pygame, use the book "Game Programming The L Line, The Express Line to Learning" by Andy Harris and you'll be writing games in a month. The more games you write the more game programming concepts you will learn. That is the key. Languages you can learn throughout your career but a good solid set of game programming fundamentals is what you need at your core. And what better way than not to slog through years of learning C++ but actually put out decent games with that book, python and pygame in a month before you lose interest because you are bogged down in a particular language. Make programming fun again! If its not fun you'll give up more quickly.

Cheers,
Jan

Yup I totally agree but since that's not what the OP wants to hear my suggestion is:
Take laptop to borders if you don't have money and sit there reading all day ,like I've seen people do before , and decide for yourself since you'll have to get used to making lots of decisions choosing C++. Like what compiler to use?
What API to use?
Allegro?
SDL?
etc...

p.s. What out for the Deitel book "dry" is an understatement and you'll probably fall asleep before you get your first program written!
Oh and if I sound a bit curt it's because Yeah this question has been asked before a million times before. At least once a week I imagine...
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement