You've probably seen this question before:

Started by
16 comments, last by daviangel 16 years, 1 month ago
Or maybe it's original. I'm a new programmer, except for some web development, and I have done a lot of research towards what programming language I want to use. I have chosen C++. I don't know if I will stay with this choice though so I don't want to pay for a book yet. I've seen both C++ A Dialog and the Thinking In C++ series online. Which one of these is best towards learning how to program? Which one will be best for a long-off goal of creating games? Once again, I'm sorry if this has been asked before. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Python if you just want to actually make a game :P.
C++ if you want more power but more complexity.

Use Python if you do not want to spend 1-3 years learning C++ from scratch to just make a game :P.

But go ahead with C++, it is worth it in the end.
Deitel and Deitel, How to Program

It's very meaty and at this point don't even think about game development [wink]
You would be far better choosing a more expressive language like Python.

Quote:Original post by ChJees

Explain.
If you eventually want to find a job in the game industry then I'd go with C++.
--krizo
My question was not about the language.
I already know I'm going to use C++.
My question was which of those two books is better.
"Better" is subjective. I have lots of programming books, and I rarely use them, instead favouring web searches. I occasionally use the "OpenGL Red Book" as a reference, but thats it.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
Quote:Original post by rip-off
You would be far better choosing a more expressive language like Python.

Quote:Original post by ChJees

Explain.

More low level stuff.
Quote:More low level stuff.
Why not use assembly then?
Both of those books are decent, why don't you read the first few chapters of both and choose the one you seem to work with best?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement