Sign in to follow this  
Geou

Basic Graphics using C++

Geou    122
Can anyone direct me to a basic graphics tutorial with C++? I am looking for something that could make a basic game similar to Tic-Tac-Toe, or a sliding puzzle of different shapes. Something like the Graphics function in Java for rectangles, lines, and arcs. If there are multiple, the easiest to learn would be the best. I, for example, don't have the time at the moment to learn SDL. I need to do something with this quickly. Thanks. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Gage64    1235
C++ doesn't have built-in graphics capabilities, so you'll have to use an external library. For the examples you mentioned, I don't think you'll find something simpler than SDL. You can use these tutorials to quickly get up to speed with it.

Ravyne    14300
Something like SDL or Allegro is probably your best bet. C++ doesn't have any built-in graphics functionality, and rolling your own will take far longer than learning SDL or the ilk.

GDI/GDI plus might work on windows, but it tends to be somewhat obtuse for games. Just bite the bullet and get started with SDL or Allegro.

daviangel    604
Quote:
Original post by Gage64
C++ doesn't have built-in graphics capabilities, so you'll have to use an external library. For the examples you mentioned, I don't think you'll find something simpler than SDL. You can use these tutorials to quickly get up to speed with it.

I agree there is no quicker way using C++ and if you think so you must've confused it with another language like C#.
If you don't have the time to learn using Allegro or SDL then you definitely won't have time to learn it using alternate ways like MFC, GDI,DirectX or OpenGL.
If you have a large library of books or access to one Mike Morrison's game programming book show you how to make a sliding puzzle using C++/win32/GDI.
And Jeff Prosise "Programming MFC" book has a tic-tac-toe example using MFC.