Sign in to follow this  
Let The Rain Begin

Best starter language and whatnot.

I know this is the most common question, but since it always seems to get different answers, I suppose it won't hurt to ask it yet again. So, with a goal of eventually being able to create isometric/3D games that are preferably multiplayer over a network in mind (though doubt that'd be in the near future), what would be the best programming language to learn? And even though I've dabbled in a little bit of everything, you can assume no programming experience just to make it more simple. Also, for whatever language you'd think is best, what would be a good book(s) to learn it from, yet at the same time not be extremely boring? Any answers are appreciated. Thanks.

tufflax    504
In my opinion Python or C#. I like Python more, and the book "Beginning Python - From Novice to Professional" by Magnus Lie Hetland is really good (although you are probably not going to become a professional just by reading it).

namingway    114
I would have to agree with the above poster though I'll add that Java is would be a good choice too, however your goal could be acheived with a wide variety of languages.

daviangel    604
Quote:
Original post by namingway
I would have to agree with the above poster though I'll add that Java is would be a good choice too, however your goal could be acheived with a wide variety of languages.

Yeah pick C#,Java,Python to start off with.
And here is a link to an An Isometric Tile Game in Java to give you a head start;)