istream::seekg -- Is there a max seek position limit?

Started by
9 comments, last by Antheus 16 years, 1 month ago
C/C++ gurus, I am writing some code to read a very big binary image file (~2.4 GB). I use istream::seekg to set the file pointer to a desired position in the file and then read a floating point value: ----------------------------------------- unsigned long pos; //also tried this as long double ... fp.seekg(pos, ios::beg); cout << "File pointer is at " << fp.tellg() << endl; fp.read((char*)&value, sizeof(float)); ----------------------------------------- fp.seekg appears to work OK when pos is small. If pos is big, for example pos=2147487300, fp.tellg returns: "File pointer is at 2147477876". Clearly, it is wrong. The value read is also wrong. Is there a max value limit for pos, beyond which istream::seekg fails? I know the image file is OK because I can read the data in a commercial image viewer. Thanks.
Advertisement
That is a little strange. I have used files larger than 2GB on Win32 with MSVC++ .NET 2005's standard library before.

Which compiler/system are you using?
Thanks for your reply, taby.

I am using Visual Studio C++ 6.0 on Windows XP.

Don't do that. Seriously visual studio 6 is an utterly pathetic excuse for a compiler (it's 10+ years old - and was released before C++ was standardized). The express editions of visual studio are free - download Visual C++ Express 2008 - it's a MUCH MUCH better program.
In case anyone is interested, the reason for the error is because pos should be "long" type, 32bit number on Windows.
Quote:Original post by cshowe
Don't do that. Seriously visual studio 6 is an utterly pathetic excuse for a compiler (it's 10+ years old - and was released before C++ was standardized). The express editions of visual studio are free - download Visual C++ Express 2008 - it's a MUCH MUCH better program.

Agreed. Visual C++ 6.0 is a poor compiler for C++ code. It doesn't come anywhere close to the standard in many respects, so it's better off not acknowledging it anymore.
Quote:Original post by faculaganymede
In case anyone is interested, the reason for the error is because pos should be "long" type, 32bit number on Windows.

That's odd. Shouldn't it be unsigned? If so, then it should be able to address a 4GB file.
NextWar: The Quest for Earth available now for Windows Phone 7.
Quote:Original post by cshowe

Yeah, the only suggestions that I have as well would be to either:

a) Upgrade like cshowe suggests, or...
b) Use the Win32 API file-related functions. I think they have a file size limit of something ridiculously large like 2TB. These will work just fine with MSVC++ 6.0, but your code will no longer be strictly ISO C++ compliant.

By the way, if this is related to GIS -- you guys are all crazy with your 2GB image files!!!!! :)
There is, technically: std::numeric_limits<X>::max, where X is one of std::streampos or std::streamoff depending on what kind of seeking you are doing.

Also, note those are typedefs provided by the standard library; to be pedantic, you should be using them. (For relative seeking - the 2-argument form of seekg - streamoff is appropriate, as it represents a stream offset; for absolute seeking, you use streampos - stream position.)
Thanks for all your feedbacks.

Quote:Original post by Sc4Freak
That's odd. Shouldn't it be unsigned? If so, then it should be able to address a 4GB file.

Apparently, it's signed long because the error occurs when pos > 2^32/2.

p.s. The reason I am still using VS 6.0 is because I have to work with legacy code and don't have the time right now to port everything to a new compiler, unfortunately.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement