OpenGL 2.1 not supported

Started by
6 comments, last by V-man 16 years, 2 months ago
Hi, I'm trying to run glew with 2.1 extentions, except the init gives me the above. When I check my nvidia settings in the nvidia screen it says its running 2.1.2. My card is a 6100, can anyone help me out here thanks :)
Advertisement
If nvidia says your using 2.1.2 then your graphics card drivers are probably up to date, but worth checking.
Roger that, lets run like hell!
check that you aren't getting a software renderer for some reason, GL_VENDOR string is what you need to check iirc
Ah, 2.1 extensions are only supported on GF8 series cards.
Quote:Original post by MARS_999

There is no 2.1 extensions. Either you have the extension in glGetString(GL_EXTENSIONS) or you don't.
For the OP, glew thinks the GL version number is not 2.1
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);
Quote:Original post by V-man
Quote:Original post by MARS_999

There is no 2.1 extensions. Either you have the extension in glGetString(GL_EXTENSIONS) or you don't.
For the OP, glew thinks the GL version number is not 2.1

I should have said 2.0+ then, either way, I remember reading somewhere that the new extensions for the GF8 series cards would be 2.1 eventually. MY point is you will not have access to texture arrays, transform feedback, cube shadowmaps, geometry shaders, draw buffers 2 and a few other extensions unless you have a GF 8 series, as the OP has a 6100 and wanted to point this out.
Those AREN'T 2.1 functions; the 'extensons' which make up the core functions of OpenGL2.1 are;

- Pixel Buffer Objects
- GLSL 1.20
- sRGB colour space

None of those are DX10 level features, indeed at least the first and 3rd were in ATI's drivers for the X1900XT I had, which is a DX9 part.

The things you have listed are just extensions and have no relation to the OpenGL version number at all, and yes are only present on DX10 class hardware.
Quote:I should have said 2.0+ then, either way, I remember reading somewhere that the new extensions for the GF8 series cards would be 2.1 eventually. MY point is you will not have access to texture arrays, transform feedback, cube shadowmaps, geometry shaders, draw buffers 2 and a few other extensions unless you have a GF 8 series, as the OP has a 6100 and wanted to point this out.

See the post above by phantom. GL 2.1 is already defined and won't be modified.
If they include those GF8 features in GL 2.2, then they would be called core functions, not extensions.
Core functions lose their EXT/ARB/NV/ATI suffix and they might get a small modification just like it happened to GLSL and other stuff.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement