Any Flash gurus here?

Started by
6 comments, last by one mind 16 years, 2 months ago
Hi, I am new to flash and was hoping for some help. I am making an educational geography game that names a country and the player has to find it on the map. I was wondering if anyone knew how rollover maps are made? I want a country to change color when the mouse pointer rolls over it. Is there a tutorial on how to do something like this as i have seen tons of rollover maps online and figured there may be a standard way of making these. My google searching has come up with not a great deal. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)
Advertisement
It's been a while since i've done flash. But there should be an onmouseover/onclick conditions where you can change the colour. I did that sort of thing when building a website for fun. Try clicking on the polygon you drew to look like a country, and see if it has those kind of properties.
If i get you right, you want to make some change happen when you roll-over or click. Simple - select the drawing (or pic or whatever you need to transform on roll over), press F8, convert to button. use the "roll" keyframe. Draw what you want in this keyframe and try it out. For further help on flash stuff, go to

flashperfection.com
- dF repping The Pill studios
Cool, i was actually doing it that way just before i read your post :)

The trouble i am having now is, i am using png image file for the country overlays which are transparent outside the country.

When i use these images for the HIT keyframe of the button, it rollsover the transparent part as well. Is there a way to exclude the transparent part of png files from rollovers?

Here, I made an example for you. It's a .fla
http://rapidshare.com/files/93969195/exaple_gd.fla.html
I'm afraid that's either impossible or outside my knowledge...
If you're able to access the pixels of your images, then you could check if the mouse hovers over a visible or a transparant pixel, and only display the other image if the mouse hovers over a visible pixel.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Thanks guys.

I have given up on transparent png's. I have only did one country so far and my swf file is nearly half a megabyte :)

I have come up with a strange work around.

Basically, i just make the countries bmp's and import them into flash. Then i go to Modify->Trace and turn it into a vector. The vector isn't a perfect match, slightly smaller but it will do i guess plus the file size is real small.

If anyone knows a better way to make countries out of a world map that fit exactly over the original map i would love to hear it :)

Thanks again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement