Sign in to follow this  
Chrono1081

Compiler for linux?

Chrono1081    108
First off I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I wasnt quite sure where to put this question. I just got an eeePC and it runs linux (Zandros) and I was wondering if anyone knew of a C++ ide that I could put on it? I tried asking on another sites linux forum and got nothing but flames and nasty "read the wiki" responses (too bad the wiki didnt have what I needed) and google turns up 3903294238 possibilities none of which seem to work so I was wondering if anyone here knew of one?

Antheus    2409
Quote:
Original post by Chrono1081
Thank you guys for the responses :D I don't understand why the linux forum I was on couldn't answer me that :P (Im new to linux so I dont know much)

On Linux forums, you usually get a limited set of answers
- RTFM
- Look at the source
- Works for me on Hardware x231 v2.4 beta with 8.4 driver patched with v2.4 source
- I use emacs
- OMG don't use emacs use vim

Also, C++ tends to get little love in pure Linux world.

Chrono1081    108
Quote:

On Linux forums, you usually get a limited set of answers
- RTFM
- Look at the source
- Works for me on Hardware x231 v2.4 beta with 8.4 driver patched with v2.4 source
- I use emacs
- OMG don't use emacs use vim

Also, C++ tends to get little love in pure Linux world.

LMAO! Thats so true! Everyone seems to think their precious wikis answer everything and heaven foribid you ask a question!

Kwizatz    1392
I use XEmacs. [smile]

If I wasn't comfortable enough with XEmacs, I would probably go for Eclipse and its CDT, I use Eclipse at work for PHP development.

There is also KDevelop, but for some reason I find it hard to get into, a beginner might find it otherwise though, it does have a lot of task automation.

Chrono1081    108
Wow thanks for all the suggestions guys :) I will try them all eventually and see which one I like but for now I went with netbeans, reason being im in a weird job where I am limited on download space, if you download too much you get in some serious hot water. AND I live where I work so I cannot go home and download, and to make things even tricker I work in a very volatile part of the world so I cant just take a stroll to an internet cafe and download a bigger file : /

but in april when I go home for a bit ill be downloading all of them to try out :D
And for anyone curious about eeePC (I think I mentioned thats what I was on in my original post) get one, theyre amazing little machines :)

Sorry that rambled. Off to bed now.

Antheus    2409
Quote:
I tried to install kdevelop but to know avail : / I have no clue how to install the thing.

sudo apt-get install kdevelop?

Ravyne    14300
Keep in mind that you probably want a fairly minimalist IDE if you intend to write code on the built-in 800x480 LCD. Something with simple menus and maybe a few icons, rather than tons and tons of controls, docked views and so on.

Truth be told, at that low of a resolution, a simple color-coding editor like Vi(m) or E(x)macs, combined with a command-line terminal and make-files, might be just the trick.

Code::Blocks is fairly minimal, so it might be an alright choice, but last I looked at, say, eclipse, it looked as though it would be awfully cramped at 800x480 (though I admit I've never spent much time with it or how to minimize its interface.)

Valeranth    100
I can reccomend Eclipse. either with CDT or you can download one only for C++ on there website, which I reccomend.

Code::Blocks, you will need / want to use the nightly builds.. but you can get a little experiacne learning bash by making a update script for it.. not hard at all :P

Vim, this is what im using, runs great once you learning several commands.. The only downfall is that you do need to spend a few days learning thing ( but you do that for every IDE, right!? ) you will also want to get confortable with GNUMake and the other GNU tools like gdb and gprof for debugging and profiling.

There are ofcouse others, but I have not used them..

Intrigue7    122
lol

I tried KDevelop for 2 weeks and decided to uninstall it... A normal text editor (jEdit) and a console is the way to go for me. However, I will try Eclipse and CodeBlock... I do not know why I never tried them... I hope it's not as bad a KDevelop !

Chrono1081    108
Quote:
Original post by leiavoia
For what it's worth, i just use KATE and a (built-in) terminal. Not as nice as a full IDE, but me likes it.

Wait so your saying there is a built in compiler already?

Valeranth    100
not sure if any distros dont have it but google GCC or gnu c compiler also try 'sudo apt get gcc' or the equivalant for your system... 2nd method is the best.

Chrono1081    108
I think I just need to buy a book on linux. Most of info I find online and on "linux wikis" are useless (cept for this thread! You all were very helpful :D )

Valeranth    100
Quote:
I think I just need to buy a book on linux. Most of info I find online and on "linux wikis" are useless (cept for this thread! You all were very helpful :D )

You can check online, ask around linux fourms like ubuntu.. or check out IRC channels on irc.freenode.org try #linux.. Just ingnore the pricks and you'll get some good help