Compiler for linux?

Started by
33 comments, last by Yann L 16 years, 1 month ago
Wow thanks for all the suggestions guys :) I will try them all eventually and see which one I like but for now I went with netbeans, reason being im in a weird job where I am limited on download space, if you download too much you get in some serious hot water. AND I live where I work so I cannot go home and download, and to make things even tricker I work in a very volatile part of the world so I cant just take a stroll to an internet cafe and download a bigger file : /

but in april when I go home for a bit ill be downloading all of them to try out :D
And for anyone curious about eeePC (I think I mentioned thats what I was on in my original post) get one, theyre amazing little machines :)

Sorry that rambled. Off to bed now.
Advertisement
try KDevelop with the gnu c++ compiler of linux.. the best.
Eclipse is nice too.
I tried to install kdevelop but to know avail : / I have no clue how to install the thing.
Quote:Original post by Chrono1081
I tried to install kdevelop but to know avail : / I have no clue how to install the thing.

sudo apt-get install kdevelop?
Keep in mind that you probably want a fairly minimalist IDE if you intend to write code on the built-in 800x480 LCD. Something with simple menus and maybe a few icons, rather than tons and tons of controls, docked views and so on.

Truth be told, at that low of a resolution, a simple color-coding editor like Vi(m) or E(x)macs, combined with a command-line terminal and make-files, might be just the trick.

Code::Blocks is fairly minimal, so it might be an alright choice, but last I looked at, say, eclipse, it looked as though it would be awfully cramped at 800x480 (though I admit I've never spent much time with it or how to minimize its interface.)

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I can reccomend Eclipse. either with CDT or you can download one only for C++ on there website, which I reccomend.

Code::Blocks, you will need / want to use the nightly builds.. but you can get a little experiacne learning bash by making a update script for it.. not hard at all :P

Vim, this is what im using, runs great once you learning several commands.. The only downfall is that you do need to spend a few days learning thing ( but you do that for every IDE, right!? ) you will also want to get confortable with GNUMake and the other GNU tools like gdb and gprof for debugging and profiling.

There are ofcouse others, but I have not used them..
For what it's worth, i just use KATE and a (built-in) terminal. Not as nice as a full IDE, but me likes it.
lol

I tried KDevelop for 2 weeks and decided to uninstall it... A normal text editor (jEdit) and a console is the way to go for me. However, I will try Eclipse and CodeBlock... I do not know why I never tried them... I hope it's not as bad a KDevelop !
There are 10 kinds of people in this world....Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Quote:Original post by leiavoia
For what it's worth, i just use KATE and a (built-in) terminal. Not as nice as a full IDE, but me likes it.

Wait so your saying there is a built in compiler already?
open up a terminal and type

g++

or

gcc

to see if you have the standard compiler

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement