Compiler for linux?

Started by
33 comments, last by Yann L 16 years, 1 month ago
First off I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I wasnt quite sure where to put this question. I just got an eeePC and it runs linux (Zandros) and I was wondering if anyone knew of a C++ ide that I could put on it? I tried asking on another sites linux forum and got nothing but flames and nasty "read the wiki" responses (too bad the wiki didnt have what I needed) and google turns up 3903294238 possibilities none of which seem to work so I was wondering if anyone here knew of one?
Advertisement
CodeBlocks is quite nice
-> http://www.codeblocks.org/
You could also use Eclipse with CDT. http://www.eclipse.org
Or you stay at the commandline working with makefiles and gcc.
Thank you guys for the responses :D I don't understand why the linux forum I was on couldn't answer me that :P (Im new to linux so I dont know much)
Quote:Original post by Chrono1081
Thank you guys for the responses :D I don't understand why the linux forum I was on couldn't answer me that :P (Im new to linux so I dont know much)

On Linux forums, you usually get a limited set of answers
- RTFM
- Look at the source
- Works for me on Hardware x231 v2.4 beta with 8.4 driver patched with v2.4 source
- I use emacs
- OMG don't use emacs use vim

Also, C++ tends to get little love in pure Linux world.
source navigator is another option. there's also slickedit if you're willing to spend some cash.
I develop on linux, and recently I've started using Geany, and it seems to be quite good. And I can also recommend CodeBlocks.
Quote:
On Linux forums, you usually get a limited set of answers
- RTFM
- Look at the source
- Works for me on Hardware x231 v2.4 beta with 8.4 driver patched with v2.4 source
- I use emacs
- OMG don't use emacs use vim

Also, C++ tends to get little love in pure Linux world.

LMAO! Thats so true! Everyone seems to think their precious wikis answer everything and heaven foribid you ask a question!
I use XEmacs. [smile]

If I wasn't comfortable enough with XEmacs, I would probably go for Eclipse and its CDT, I use Eclipse at work for PHP development.

There is also KDevelop, but for some reason I find it hard to get into, a beginner might find it otherwise though, it does have a lot of task automation.
If you're looking for autocompletion and so on, Netbeans provides.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement