Game Design Wiki

Started by
5 comments, last by Feralrath 16 years, 1 month ago
Over the past couple of weeks, I've been looking at various game design resources. Though I've seen a few that I like, most of the resources I came across only talked about the basics of game design as opposed to being actual resources for designing games. For this reason, I thought I'd post here to see who would be interested in a wiki that not only discussed the basics of game design, but also acted as a resource for those who are in the process of designing games. For those interesting in a game design wiki, I'd like to hear some of the things you'd expect to find in a resource like this. Also, if you'd be interesting in helping me work on this project, let me know and I'll be sure to get in touch with you.
Advertisement
After a quick Google for "Game Design Wiki", I've found at least two wikis already existing on the subject, one of which seems quite decently structured at first glance (not sure if I'm allowed to post the link here).

Point being: it might be a better idea to contribute to an existing wiki. That's what wikis are about in the first place.
Talin, I don't know the wiki you are referring to, so I can't comment on the structure, but most of the wiki's I've seen are unkept by they're administrators, making me reluctant to contribute. After all, if the wiki's administrators are unwilling to update it, why should I?

For those interested in helping out, I can host the wiki on a subdomain and will contribute to the wiki as much as I can as well.

[Edited by - Fitzpatrick on February 22, 2008 1:34:48 PM]
Just wait. Gamedev is planning on building one game developer wiki which will contain everything related to game development (and probably if things go well assimilate the gpWiki wiki).
If one existed I would frequent it and contribute all I could. Please link any you might find or send a message for help.
BLOG: http://rhornbek.wordpress.com/
Sirisian, I visited the alpha of the wiki and it is practically barren. And if I recall correctly, there isn't anything on it relating to game design either. Though I'm sure eventually it will cover game design, when that'll be, I don't know.

Dasubermechen, I've sent you a message. :)
As you said the gp wiki is in a alpha build at the moment. Its actually more like an alpha test to see if its a fesiable idea or not.

If you want to start your own wiki that would be fine. But if you looking for an active wiki that you can contribute to then the gpwiki would probably be you best bet. You are basically guaranteed that it will be alive as long as people like you contribute to it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement